Notices

Day 2

Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Good Morning to all.

Well, I am about 40 hours from my last drink. Got a pretty decent sleep last night, woke up quite early, had a cuppa joe, a little breakfast, and took a walk. I used to walk, oh, 25 to 35 miles per week. I was lucky this morning to eek out about 2 miles. But I did it.

My blood sugar is definitely whompy and I got back home feeling shaky and sort of unwell. And also thinking, "How on earth am I going to make it through the day without a drink?" Decided I'd have me a glass of cold vanilla chai tea (the kind made with soy milk, so it's got some protein in it, and it's got a bit of cane sugar in it, too, which I think is helpful to me right now) and thought I'd post here. I feel much better now.

I am so happy to have landed here and have much to share and much to ask. For now, I'll close but I'll come back if I'm feeling wobbly throughout the day which, I think, is inevitable right now.

Thanks for reading/listening.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 2 Vanilla! The first few days can be all over the map physically, getting enough water, rest and good food ( if you can ) is key. Checking in here is a great idea too, you may want to consider joining the Class of August thread over in the Newcomers are as well. You are always welcome in any forum of course.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found I needed more food when I quit drinking or my blood glucose would be low as well. Keep up the great work!!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Good start on day 2, and yes, stay close to us and take gentle care of yourself.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on day 2 your doing great
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome, Vanilla.
way to go on day two.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 2 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first few days are definitely difficult. You just have to power through them and try and eat and get some quality sleep. Good job on your 2 days. I believe in 2 more days you will really notice how much better you feel.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Vainilla! First days are definitely the worst days. It will get easier pretty soon. Glad you found us!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello all,

I have managed to keep myself pretty busy today. I am moving in 2 weeks, from the 'burbs back into the city. It will be a good thing for me. In the past 3 years I have gone through a divorce (22 years and much betrayal in the last few years), menopause (sorry if TMI, guys), and an empty nest. I am isolated in the burbs and looking forward to moving back into the city.

Hello to amp 123 in Spain. I have a lovely Spanish guitar, a Tatay. I took Flamenco and classical lessons when I was a child. This is something I am wanting to get back to once I get settled. There is a well-known Spanish Flamenco teacher in my city, and I was delighted to find out his lessons are actually pretty affordable. I have been spending at least $300 a month on wine; time to spend it on something else. It is my heart's desire to do this.

My move back into the city and other changes are part of my plan to remove myself from isolation and get back to living my life. It's been a very long, strange past 3 years.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very proud of you, Vanilla. Nice work.

You're doing a good thing by keeping distracted. The move sounds like a smart decision. I know what you mean about the isolation. I used to crave privacy and quiet - now, not so much.

(My cousin lives in Castle Rock. Loves it.)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Hevyn. Castle Rock is pretty. It's about 30 miles south of the Denver metro area. I am in the southwest burbs of the city and live right near the foothills. It is peaceful and lovely, lots of wildlife. About 10 minutes and I am in the mountains. When I move back into Denver I will be about 30 minutes from the mountains, so it will be just fine. I am very much putting the kabbosh on isolation. All I do is drink wine and stay in my apartment. I do have 2 dogs, which forces me to get out a bit. But overall, the past 3 years have been VERY unhealthy. I am ready to come out of the dark and into the light. Sounds all nice and fluffy. It's not so easy. I have been drinking very, very heavily. Life sure is strange. Am also moving closer to a Buddhist center that I have visited once and have been wanting to get involved in. $50 per month and they have a Buddhist recovery group on Friday eves (very dangerous time for me). I am forcing myself to do this. I want it, but I am forcing it. If that makes sense.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That makes perfect sense Vanilla. I think we all feel a bit like that

Nice to hear you're digging the flamenco groove! I love Paco de Lucia and Camaron de la Isla!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey Vanilla,
just to mention that LifeRing has some secular peer support meetings in Denver or around there.
a lot of folks don't know about that option, and it would mesh quite well with a buddhist approach.

LifeRing Secular Recovery
Old 08-03-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job! Sounds like you're putting together a good plan.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You can do it just keep up that positive mentality. We are all here to support you!!