Notices

Going through pure hell

Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Going through pure hell

Hello...

I'm proudly 22 days and 9 months sober.

That being said, sure, I'm proud of it...

I smoke pot. Yes, it calms me down but also makes me non-motivated and I certainly can't afford to be that way these days...
I eat good food. Doesn't make me feel full...
I eat crap food. Fills me up, makes me feel guilty for eating...

I currently work 12-16 hours 7 days per week.
My staff push my buttons.
My manager pushes my buttons.
My business partner pushes me.
Customers call/email to just chew me out over minor things.
Companies big and small suck at what they are doing and screw up things every day causing me yet more work.

My back is killing me and has done so for 2 weeks straight.
I go to sleep with a headache and wake up with a more massive one.
I toss and turn all night each night and wake up more tired than when I went to bed.

I don't feel like I have control over anything anymore as everybody else sucks at what they do...

Going to a party (ie: July 4th) was easy not to drink at
It's easy not drinking when at work.
It's easy not getting smashed on the weekends, or feeling the urge to get smashed each night.
It's truly a piece of cake to do all of those things, no cravings at all.

But for the love of God I need a flipping beer or two every now and then to allow me to relax after an absolute **** day!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TastyCheez View Post

But for the love of God I need a flipping beer or two every now and then to allow me to relax after an absolute **** day
A beer or two.....I used to have that fantasy at times too. It sounds perhaps like you could use a career change instead?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Cheez, I know you're completely indispensable (sarcasm) but it sounds like you need a week off somewhere like a health spa to get on top of your back pain, and give your mind a break.
Truly I think you're setting yourself up for relapse, because you're taking on too much stressful work at a stressful time.
If you do take the week (and it would be legitimate health leave), make sure its at a place where alcohol, drugs aren't allowed. A sort of executive stress spa, with massages, healthy eating, meditation, hiking, etc etc.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I think a career change is in order......I'm in sales - insurance actually and this is a new career for me......certain types of clients are pains in the ass......they call me all the time for silly **** and they don't follow directions, they want the product to do x but it doesn't etc.......... I've identified who these types of clients are.......so now if I even THINK they may be a problem client......I don't sign them.....I convince them that they don't need my product or I tell them I'm too busy to make an appt.....and move on. I've got a client now who must have called me 10 times since she switched products......I'm going to see her Thursday.......I'm switching her to a new product that is more expensive ...... It's actually fool proof.....she can't screw it up.......and that will be the end of her bothering me. I'd rather forgo income than sign a bad client.......you gotta cut your losses.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it pretty hard not to think about alcohol when I was smoking pot and vice versa.
They both hit the same spot in my brain.

It's your life, but I wonder if it might be easier without the weed?

D
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As for business partners.......I got rid of him too......last I heard he was calling up people at 2 am for crack.......you gotta restructure your life when you get sober if you wanna stay sober.....get rid of the chronic stressors.....
Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On the weed front.....they've done studies on it and it is a replacement for alcohol ......and cigarettes ....... I'm practicing harm reduction........I still smoke but not as much cause I'm busier....I'm happier and it's expensive . My goal is to quit drinking when I master that....maybe I'll quit weed. One day and thing at a time.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi.
For me and many others sobriety is far more than just stopping the intake of alcohol. It involves work and changing the person who was drinking or life can be just as miserable. Substituting weed is also an alcoholics downfall, like it or not. We needed to learn to live life on lifes terms for a good healthy recovery that lasts.
This dis-ease I have is progressive, powerful, baffling, cunning and insidious which can result in a very miserable life. It may be a situation of being un recoverable which about 80% of alcoholics are in.

BE WELL
Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by TastyCheez View Post

I'm proudly 22 days and 9 months sober...

...But for the love of God I need a flipping beer or two every now and then to allow me to relax after an absolute **** day!
I think you mean 22 days and 9 hours sober. I say that not so much to correct you, but to point out that you are still in the early stages of recovery. Emotions can flip in a heartbeat. You ability to relax to is diminished while anxiety flairs.

Completely normal.

Stay the course.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How long have you been in business with your partner? If you are relatively new to business ownership, what you are experiencing is pretty normal if you ask me. You likely have a large financial commitment into it, and its obvious you have substantial time commitment involved.
That is life owning a small business. You must find a way to deal/cope with the f*ck ups that will happen almost every single day. It took me 8-9 years. I'm sure you want everything to operate like a well oiled machine. And it will for stretches, and then all hell breaks loose. But unless the situation is life or death, it just has to be dealt with. I can assure you alcohol won't fix it.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just want to add a little something to this regarding your business.
Yesterday:
1.I had a mower break down on the mowing crew
2. had one guy encounter a bee's nest, stung a bunch of times, including neck and face.
3. Two guys didn't show up for work (no call no show...no job now.)
4. Had to start looking through my resume file to find immediate replacements for the two who didn't show.
5. Customers called in a panic now that we are in the 2nd half of the summer asking "when are you getting started" regarding their landscape project.
6. Had a guy spill fertilizer on a yard, killed the grass, so I have to make amends for that.
...this day was a little higher than normal on the stress meter, but I have much much worse. I hope this provides a little perspective.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I just want to add a little something to this regarding your business.
Yesterday:
1.I had a mower break down on the mowing crew
2. had one guy encounter a bee's nest, stung a bunch of times, including neck and face.
3. Two guys didn't show up for work (no call no show...no job now.)
4. Had to start looking through my resume file to find immediate replacements for the two who didn't show.
5. Customers called in a panic now that we are in the 2nd half of the summer asking "when are you getting started" regarding their landscape project.
6. Had a guy spill fertilizer on a yard, killed the grass, so I have to make amends for that.
...this day was a little higher than normal on the stress meter, but I have much much worse. I hope this provides a little perspective.

I identify. When I became sober I gave a similar list to my sponsor and he responded with something I didn’t like: those are lifes situations not PROBLEMS, booze is a problem if you drink over situations! It took me awhile to get it!

BE WELL