Notices

Trapped between sobriety and withdrawal?

Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trapped between sobriety and withdrawal?

I wonder if anyone else has been through this. I imagine it being common in the beginning when someone is just dabbling in sobriety (because he's still having a hard time ever admitting he's got a problem.)

Anyhow, I was a steady drinker for over five years. Not a night would pass where I didn't drink. But lately over the past month I have cut down significantly and also greatly improved my diet and exercise.

But I haven't stopped drinking . Sometimes I'll even go a couple days without and then have a few the next, etc.

But I feel like ever since I have gone down this road I just feel weird things happen. Like I've felt really foggy today and sometimes very tired and irritable and anxious. I almost have feelings of regret that I cut down because now it's like I have to either go back to how I was or stop all together. lol

Has anyone ever felt like they were "trapped" in the middle with this? Don't get me wrong I've also felt great in many ways but it's becoming apparent that this might not be enough.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Withdrawals can cause all different kinds of symptoms, both physical and psychological. I wouldn't say you are really "trapped in the middle" because you are still drinking. Even though you have cut back you are still consuming alcohol, so you are probably getting some withdrawls at times. Towards the end of my drinking I HAD to drink or my heart would race and i'd have severe anxiety attacks. It sounds like you might be getting closer to that point as you are gettting sporatic anxiety and strange feelings.

The only way to get through all of those symptoms and keep them away long term is to quit drinking completely. It takes several weeks for your body to completely withdraw and get used to living without alcohol, so you really aren't giving it a chance by just abstaining for a day or two.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scott gives some good advice.

For things to really improve physically and mentally I had to drop drinking entirely.

D