Notices

Getting Sober In The Beginning

Old 06-12-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Sober In The Beginning

Some other member on here had posted how in the beginning of his sobriety, he needed to be able to tolerate some discomfort for awhile and sit with it.

I am sitting here watching a movie at 12:20 am, and I have had cravings, even though there is no alcohol right now in our apartment. Someone earlier had told me to be aware of my thoughts and feelings before drinking, which is what I am currently trying to do. Right now, I sort of crave alcohol because I am having some discomfort with some things in my life, and I just want to numb them with alcohol. The content of those things is really unimportant, but the point is that my cravings right now stem from discomfort. So I guess it is true that I just need to sit through the discomfort in order to protect my sobriety so that I do not drink and go through a night of of hell, as well as the following day. And I just need to trust myself when I tell myself that these thoughts I am having will pass.

So, for me, what using alcohol often comes down to is that it functions as a "break" in life for me. It gives me a timeout for about a few hours. But I know that this timeout will mean restless sleep, a hangover, weight gain, etc. etc., and those things are not worth the timeout to me. So I guess I just have to continue sitting with the discomfort.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Pick up a pencil and start writing... at the top of the page put "Dear God," ... and I'm not being facetious. It can't hurt to try it. I hope you find some peace.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're quoting me I think

I found that I was very scared of emotions - good or bad - in a way my drinking was a way to try and control my feelings...a very illogical way.

Learning to sit with my discomfort showed me that even the worst emotion or feeling will pass, given time.

As for respite or a break, I found other things that were far healthier than drinking and more effective coping strategies in the long term - things like exercise, relaxation techniques and breathing, altering my routine, urge surfing.

There's a tool for every job in recovery, really.
You just have to find what works for you

D
Old 06-12-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I was quoting you from earlier. I realized there is a lot of truth to that. I think that so many of my recent slips had to do with picking up due to discomfort. And yes, the issue I was worried about earlier has basically passed. I think in my past I so wanted to get away from the immediate discomfort that I could care less about thinking of the consequences of drinking because I wanted my timeout NOW. I think I can use reading as a way for respite, as I do like to read. Fortunately, I have a lot of reading to do now because of studying.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't call study reading respite myself...but yeah - anything that helps divert you in a healthy and positive way is good

D
Old 06-12-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

i read this yest and it helped me perhaps it can help you too

"That is why, even in the midst of an extreme situation, the wise are patient. Whether the situation is illness, calamity, or their own anger, they know that healing will follow upheaval"
Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After a few years of sobriety, I have come to the conclusion that drinking is a lousy way to take a break. As I have assembled and refined my tool box of sobriety I realize that I can numb myself way better without drinking or smoking. It gets easier every time. Now it doesn't matter whether there is beer or pot in the house but in the beginning it was very important for me to keep that stuff at arm's length so I wouldn't be tempted.