Notices

Don’t forget to enjoy your sobriety

Old 06-13-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks folks, glad it came out as intended.

Too much to reply to everyone individually, but Least makes an important point. Yes, I see most of what I wrote as a "bonus". Just not being in that treadmill anymore, waking up "normally" would be worth it alone. It's just that that's sometimes hard to understand for someone who just gets sober, or is making the step.

Deckard pointed out the bit that is most important to me: to somehow turning this "I can't drink anymore" to a "so glad I don't have to anymore". I don't know how that is done, and I suppose it's different for every individual, but I do believe it's a possibility for all of us.

Irony: today, at my 3 years, I woke up feeling terrible, headache, joint pain, nausea, fuzzy brain... Turns out it's just the flu though, and that will go away on its own (I hope! ) But it did make me chuckle, even though I feel under the weather.

One big thing I forgot: getting sober allowed me to believe in my ability to change my diet and therefor lose weight. I used to think diets were only a fad, that it's impossible to ever seriously adjust your weight. But not this time. So last year, I was able without ever being hungry to lose 70 pounds, landing on a 23 BMI. That's not because I stopped drinking directly: I became heavier when I just got sober, as I was compensating with food and ice-cream etc. But getting sober gave me the motivation to really look after myself in that area as well.

Thanks again for the kind words. Back to bed now as I'm suffering from the world's most horrible disease: the man-flu!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better! Great post!
Old 06-13-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

Hope you feel better soon, rest , fluids , and some(lots) extra vitamin C!
And the man-flu is Real, it just hurts us more, I'm not whiny really, its coz it hurts us more right ?
Old 06-13-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Nice!
Congrats on 3 years!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The original post was so great. These kind of posts can never be too long. I could read them all day long.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
under new management

This was well worth the read. Congratulations on 3 years!!!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon and congratulations on 3 years!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you so much.. Very inspiring.. I want to get there . As on today, I am just 12 days sober but already have experienced the bliss of morning freshness. Ability to think clearly through challenges and being able to relate to the sober people..
Old 06-14-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Really liked the phrase .. "I can't drink anymore" to a "so glad I don't have to anymore".
Old 06-14-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It is great to hear about those long-term benefits. I'm only 55 days in and at times it is tough. There are a lot of changes early on. Socially I'm finding it hard to find my place and be comfortable with who I am and where I'm at. Also dealing with plenty of mood swings.

This post has meant a lot to me because it has helped me see very clearly where I could be a little down the line. This has been motivational and inspirational. Thank you.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

"So glad I don't have to drink any more" is a great way of looking at sobriety.

I'm very tired today after climbing Ben Nevis yesterday, a good, healthy tiredness though and a sense of achievement that I have completed a bucket list item.

Quite a contrast to my previous standard Sunday of lying in bed feeling ill, shameful, full of guilt and remorse, depressed and anxious with the fear going through the roof.

Thank God I don't have to drink any more!
Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imtehaan View Post
Thank you so much.. Very inspiring.. I want to get there . As on today, I am just 12 days sober but already have experienced the bliss of morning freshness. Ability to think clearly through challenges and being able to relate to the sober people..
Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
It is great to hear about those long-term benefits. I'm only 55 days in and at times it is tough. There are a lot of changes early on. Socially I'm finding it hard to find my place and be comfortable with who I am and where I'm at. Also dealing with plenty of mood swings.

This post has meant a lot to me because it has helped me see very clearly where I could be a little down the line. This has been motivational and inspirational. Thank you.
And thank you. Both 12 and 55 days are great. Don't underestimate that. And don't forget that all of the folks who got longer periods of sobriety (I still feel like a newbie...) passed those 12 and 55 days. And even that all important day 1...

Not gonna lie: the first year for me was a whirlwind. Emotions and thoughts all over the place (but not constantly: moments of clarity and happiness were there too!). Brain needs time to readjust, and the AV is always watching for when you are vulnerable. But it goes dormant after a while - I'd say for me that was after about 4 months. Later on it simply goes into full hibernation.

The whirlwinds and mood changes will subside. It does get easier - you'll see.

Rivelino, exactly. When I think back of how horribly tiring the drinking got, and everything around it. The fear... no words for that. Getting sober was the escape, the liberation, not a punishment.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Chief
Old 06-14-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Great post and congrats on 3 years!
Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks, Chief.