Notices

Appointment done.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Appointment done.

Well it was nerve wracking but it's finally over. Today has been too stressful altogether.
Anyway the doctor was nice enough for a change and we are doing the Ashton Method for benzo taper. BIG difference between state funded care and private doctor. Money talks. It's sickening.
I start tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad it went well.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear the appt. went well.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, Sleepie!! The Ashton method has been posted here, several times, and seems to be pretty good.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-16-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's good news

D
Old 05-16-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He diagnosed me with a bunch of anxiety related stuff, GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and OCD, he was pretty blunt that I had several diagnoses. I was mortified but oh well, what can I expect, I am a lemon when it comes to my grey matter. Only consolation is I didn't choose it, that's for d*** sure.

One frustrating thing is that he's the only psychiatrist I have met who understands that you don't have to be textbook to be OCD. I knew I had OCD years ago, no therapist or anyone took me seriously

Sometimes WE know ourselves better than a d*** book does.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Glad to hear things went ok, looking like they could trend up, yes, as things go?
Old 05-16-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh I hope so. At least getting off this stuff can't be a bad thing, I'm so over it.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sleepie, many of us are ocd, or anxiety ridden... that does not make us broken, girlie. just a few challenges..nothing that an open mind and some courage won't help. and maybe meds too. but we are not lemons. if we are, then we make lemonade...
Old 05-16-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know you're relieved sleepie - very glad for you. Better days are coming.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know. At least these can be improved.
Interestingly, he offers a benzo withdrawal support group. I have to go as part of his program, might be a racket but I guess it can't hurt.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Out to dinner right now. I am practicing posting from my iPhone in case I need to in the future. Glad things are looking up sleepie.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

(((Sleepie))) so awesome to hear the good news about your appointment results, and the positive strategies for the benzo taper going forward, which will create more opportunities for you to establish yourself in a life which makes sense for you.

Yeah, you're no lemon, my friend. Sure, we all have our challenges and whatever, and that's to be expected in life. And I agree with you also about how we don't have to be textbook cases. And you know, words and definitions are helpful of course when describing whatever conditions, but at the end of the day, its really how we get along with our own responsibilities, our own selves, which make the real difference, and not the labels. So, don't sweat or worry too much on any of the diagnoses.

So good to see you keep taking positive actions sleepie as you rebuild your life. Outstanding!!
Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's really great sleepie. I'm glad you found a doctor that you are comfortable with.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds like a decent doc and lots of good progress. Diagnoses are not a bad thing. Its like learning theres an accident up ahead and work around it. Learn how to work with and accept em etc..

My obsessive nature for example is off hte charts. It totally explains my booze addiction and other things. But my obsessive compulsive nature is also why i dont drink it keeps me from drinking. I use it for me instead of against me now.

I might obsess about getting enough miles in (running) I might obsess about staying sober. I might obsess about eating good foods and staying active. But this sure beats obsessing about having enough beer. Obssessing about getting it in me fast enough to calm down. etc..

Not all of our disorders have to be a bad thing.

Some problems its like oh well this is me this is how it is. I'm the perfectly imperfect me and so are you.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great news, sleepie. Be proud of yourself for tasking such positive steps for recovery; we are proud of you.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great to hear it all went well Sleepie!!