Notices

A Weird Guy Went Off on Me in Meeting Tonite

Old 04-04-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Weird Guy Went Off on Me in Meeting Tonite

I went to a meeting tonight, as I do almost every night. I had a lapse early in the week, and shared the experience, which was like this:

I haven't yet identified the exact trigger, but the craving overpowered me and I drank. It tasted awful, and as "the buzz" came on, I didn't like the feeling at all. Since I wasn't enjoying it, I quit after two drinks and that was the end of it. I'm very grateful and relieved that I did not proceed to get obliterated, or engage in the self-destructive behaviors which usually accompany my drinking.

I reported it to my outpatient counselor, and she seemed offended that I wasn't beating myself up about it. Honestly, I just felt relieved, graced by God's mercy, concerned about how suddenly and powerfully that craving came over me, and determined to delve more deeply into the program to prevent a recurrence. (So I took the plunge the next day and got a sponsor!)

After I shared this at the AA meeting, one strange fellow (who obviously has some mental/developmental issues) got very agitated. He went off on me saying that I was playing games and not serious, and if I really thought I had an alcohol problem I'd be in tears of remorse. He said my appearance was too healthy and my mental state too positive for me to be a true alcoholic. He concluded by saying that he had been faking his own participation in AA off and on for 25 years, so he was going to stop attending. This poor soul was completely upset!!

You coulda heard a pin drop in that room! It was kinda sad. I'm not sure why he was so provoked by my story. Maybe, being a little fragile, he felt my experience disavowed his own. Anyhow, I hope he calms down and keeps attending.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people are terrified by relapse - even other peoples.
I hope the guy reconsiders - in any case it's not your fault LaT

D
Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes! Hope he gets some help.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry but that does happen from time to time
While in the states there was this huge guy who would attended a few meetings I went to
His shares always had an aggressive, combative tone. When he finished the room usually went quite
Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my opinion that's BS that that guy went off on you. No one is supposed to go off on anyone at a meeting, especially since you were honest about what happened.

Unfortunately this does happen from time to time. I've seen guys go off on one another at a meeting more than once. I've seen women go at it with one another at a meeting also.

It's his problem not yours. I would put this fellow in God's hands and pray that God shows him the right way to live.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I went to my 1st AA meeting after a six month lapse and told them I relapsed. This big dude got his turn sharing and started yelling at me about how he was tired of people coming in and saying they relapsed. He said "It's not a relapse it's a slip." Then went on about not slipping in over twenty years even after going to prison a few times for assault and gun charges so he didn't understand anyone who "slips". I wanted to say "well I definitely don't want what you have" but was afraid he might shoot me after the meeting.
Point is, there is no vetting process in AA. They let anyone in the door so your bound to get a few people who are a bit off center. Ok a lot.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Good News - AA welcomes the worst of the worst that society has to offer.

Bad News - Sometimes they show up.

Worse News - Sometimes I show up.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
When I went to my 1st AA meeting after a six month lapse and told them I relapsed. This big dude got his turn sharing and started yelling at me about how he was tired of people coming in and saying they relapsed. He said "It's not a relapse it's a slip." Then went on about not slipping in over twenty years even after going to prison a few times for assault and gun charges so he didn't understand anyone who "slips". I wanted to say "well I definitely don't want what you have" but was afraid he might shoot me after the meeting.
Point is, there is no vetting process in AA. They let anyone in the door so your bound to get a few people who are a bit off center. Ok a lot.
I think I'll start sitting closer to the door!!!! John
Old 04-05-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Some people are terrified by relapse - even other peoples.
I hope the guy reconsiders - in any case it's not your fault LaT

D
This
Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Court jester

OMG, that was YOU at the meeting? I'm sorry about that.

(jk)
Old 04-05-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Some of us are sicker than others. (that always gives me hope!)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
Some of us are sicker than others. (that always gives me hope!)
The first meeting I went to, I was afraid I would not meet any people like me.

By the hundredth meeting I went to, I was afraid I would meet too many people like me.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He was projecting. I'm glad you're not beating yourself up about the slip. Keep moving forward and continue being kind to yourself. xo
Old 04-05-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is the difference between a slip and a relapse? If you drink, you drink. Does it matter what it's called?
Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

We never know what we will hear!!
Old 04-05-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Only one weirdo? Not bad odds.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
OMG, that was YOU at the meeting? I'm sorry about that.

(jk)
LOL, you're killin' me!!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Most meetings I've attended have been fairly drama free...but I have seen some pretty disturbing stuff, too.

I'm surprised that somebody didn't rein him in after a bit.

Hang in there.