Notices

have to quit smoking or ll relapse

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

have to quit smoking or ll relapse

well,

sober for 3 weeks and i drink more than 10 liters of water every day cause of the dehydaration of smoking and detox . i have to quit smoking and im going to do that . ill consult the doctor but any suggestions guys ?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tackled the alcoholism first. Alcohol only. I wanted to make sure I had my sea legs before undergoing another huge change. That is only my experience though. I'm happy to say I'm 9 months sober so I guess my plan is working.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

i quit smoking a fwe times over the years. But it never stuck until i quit drinking first. 6 months after quiting drinking i quit smoking and I have not picked up either since. quiting drinking gave me the tools i needed to quit smoking I think.

I read the book the easy way by allan carr a few times and a few times it worked haha.

The kicker with smoking is it takes about 3 days for that nicotine to cycle out of you. I always drank tons of fluids and cranberry juice those 3 days. Every time you light up your just going to prolong those 3 days of hell. Its best to just bite the bullet though I always had like 1 or 2 cigaretttes the first few days of my quit then that was it.

after the nicotine is out you got about 2 weeks for your body to feel normal or somewhat normal again. you also hae that time where you gotta fill all those voids ya know all those gaps you normally woulda smoked you gotta start forming new habits to fill those in or simple allow those gaps to be and be ok with them. enjoy the extra free time etc...

after 2 weeks its really no big thing. and yeah years later do is till want a cigarette sometimes? absolutly! hahaha but Its not a big deal to say no.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm vaping as we speak but dropped the smokes 9 months ago. There is almost zero nic in my pen right now and I can forget to pick it up if I have a project to do. Tomorrow is my nic-no-more day and that is my final answer. T'was a long taper but I'm a compulsive taperer. I do agree with everyone else regarding getting the boozewant out of one's system first. That just takes time w/out no matter what method one employs (I've done them all). I am coming up on 10 months sober and feel darn healthy. AVRT has helped me with every "thing" I wished to be rid of. Your aim is noble though-- Clean living is a blast!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There was a time where I would have said one thing at a time, the smokes wont kill you as quick as the booze.

Now, based on how difficult it was to give up smoking at 20 years sober, I wish I had tackled them both at the same time. It was like going right back to early recovery, especially dealing with anger. It seem there was more to my smoking than mere physical addiction. I used it to deal with anger and when I stopped there was no where for my anger to go. I had an awful time for three years, wondering what was wrong with me, I hadn 't connected the dots you see. It wasnt till I met a friend who had the same experience that it all came together. I dont think I was properly sober while I was still smoking.

So my advice today is, of you want to quit both at the same time, go for it. That way you will only have to go through one recovery. Good luck.