Notices

I Can't Believe How Widespread This Problem Is!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb I Can't Believe How Widespread This Problem Is!

I went to a Weight Watchers meeting yesterday. The intense sugar cravings of the past weeks were putting on weight, so I wanted to get some nutritional advice and nip this sugarfest in the bud. I'm too pleased with the health bennies of sobriety to accept living with a sugar addiction.

When it was my turn to introduce myself and describe what brought me there, I explained to the room of about 40 people that I recently quit drinking after 25 years of total inebriation but was now battling a sugar addiction and wanted to replace that with good nutrition. Half the room averted their eyes and squirmed in their chairs. The other half broke out in enthusiastic cheers and applause.

Now, get this: *After* the meeting, two people came to me separately and told me in hushed tones how they'd been sober for X years.

This suggests that at least one in 20 people has suffered from a debilitating drinking problem at some point in their lives!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I find people who are sober in lots of different places too that I would not have expected.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, alcoholism is the great equalizer. I recommend reading "The End of My Addiction" by Olivier Ameisen, MD. He was a brilliant cardiologist who served on the faculty of Cornell University Medical School and had a thriving cardiology practice in Manhattan and was ruined by alcoholism. It can bring down anyone.

As for the sugar cravings, it makes sense because alcohol is metabolized into sugar and it's now missing it now that you're sober.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by LaTraviata View Post
This suggests that at least one in 20 people has suffered from a debilitating drinking problem at some point in their lives!
Tons of scientific research shows it's about 10%. Some scientists believe that is just the tip of the ice-burg.

Yet other studies show a trend that the numbers are rising as a result of new drugs being introduced in to the market.

https://nsduhweb.rti.org/respweb/homepage.cfm