Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Can anyone else really relate with the boy who cried wolf?

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My drinking has caused a lot of problems with work, I've come in hungover (or still drunk) so many times. And I never really tried to hide it that well... In fact, I used to think other people thought I was being some edgy, caution-to-the-winds kind of person. And I've stopped drinking (very) recently and work is a big reason why. I want to be good at my job, I teach brilliant kids who I love and they deserve a better teacher. There's so many other reasons I want to stop but right now work is on the top of the list.

I've got several written warnings so I'm in trouble if I don't change, but it hit me today that from now on I can't ever complain about being tired if I'm genuinely tired, or sick if I'm genuinely sick, because my boss (and co workers) will just think I've been drinking. It'll take a LONG time for me to convince them I've quit (or am trying my utter best to), drinking has been probably the biggest thing in my life for years.

Anybody else get into that "boy who cried wolf" situation at work and has some tips? Aside from.... never be tired or sick =/
Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand where you're coming from. I'm glad you quit before you lost your job. I lost a great job where I worked for 15 years because of my drinking. I used to have to go drink on my lunch because I was too hungover to make it through the day. Just keep doing what you're doing and people will notice the change
Old 03-19-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My God, another teacher..
Praise the lord
We should talk
Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimdiGriz View Post
My God, another teacher..
Praise the lord
We should talk
Teaching is a stressful job!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got into it thinking it would be an easier option.. But the intense stress of it is impossible..I teach 16-15 year olds.Everyday it's like being value judges by 35 people.
System says
If they're not motivated it's my fault
If they don't achieve its my fault
If they don't understand criteria it's my fault
If they don't turn up or aren't penalized for orbits my fault.
Etc etc
There are not enough hours in the week to do what needs to be done on my course.

Not a good career for an alcoholic I have discovered 😄
Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And my spelling needs to improve
Old 03-19-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi jaggedlittlephil, I really don't want to sound to harsh, but you have to make a decision my friend. Its either you and your alcohol or the students. If you are a teacher, those kids need someone who will give them their best. I know that also includes all other professions (deserving their best), but you are not putting together nuts and bolts, you are influencing young lives. My father was a teacher, and my grandfather was a med school professor. Sadly, they left the profession because they knew their alcoholism couldn't give the students what they deserved. I will give them credit for that. My grandfather died a doctor in his bed with a bottle of vodka in his hand. My father pulled out of it, and had a successful career as a construction executive. First things first, give those kids a chance, second, save your life and quit boozing. That is just my personal opinion.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

My drinking never really affected my work (I was *really* good at compartmentalizing), so I can't give you any specific advice.

But something to consider - don't you think your superiors/co-workers can realistically tell the difference between tired & sick vs drunk & hungover? They may be more perceptive than you think.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My husband had this exact problem, and, believe it or not, lost the SAME JOB twice because of it.

For some reason positive reinforcement didn't work on him. The boss at this particular job fired him once for being lazy & calling in constantly, then rehired him because he wanted to give him a second chance.

During said second chance, the boss tried rewarding my husband with a raise, a fishing trip, gift cards, all kinds of things. And yet my husband took that as evidence that he had the run of the place.

Until he got fired AGAIN.

Unfortunately, OP, you can no longer be trusted by your employer, & they're likely going to treat you as such. Please do not make the mistakes my husband did, or you will also likely end up jobless.

Having worked in education in low-income areas I can honestly say that my kids were more perceptive about the state someone was in than I was. Consider that your students, who may have to deal with alcoholism & addiction at home, look to you to be a source of stability & a role model.

You're ruining it for them.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to call in sick all the time because I was hungover and puking, my sick leave became a problem and I had many elaborate excuses. My suggestion would be to get a medical certificate each time your sick.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

I don't see a problem with being legitimately sick or tired. Those drinking suspicions will follow you around until enough time has passed and your actions prove that you have addressed the problem. It's human nature and there really is no way around it.

Just be grateful you still have a job and do your best.

This was my experience and, by the way, I've hit the highest achievements in my career since I quit drinking.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've worked in pretty autonomous and flexible schedules in my whole life, and I believe this actually turned against me when my drinking became a serious problem. Never had to call in sick except to cancel a meeting but I usually managed to make those because they were not too many. I tend to work in unconventional schedules also when I'm sober so it did not even cause a serious damage as far as outward perception goes. I also always pulled off that "eccentric" image and people never had problem with it because things got done in my own ways... until they did not.

All this had led me to get very irresponsible towards the end of my drinking, but still got away with most of it because I could "work from home". And while I'm not doing much classroom teaching, I have been supervising and coordinating projects for many years now. Often very expensive projects. So imagine...

It was pretty hard for me to get out of my hiding and dysfunctional patterns of work style in early sobriety, but more in my own eyes than in front of work colleagues.

I suggest that if you plan to keep your job and repair your reputation, for a good while try to take as little time off as possible, and try to really refrain from complaining, criticizing etc. This may be much easier if you are generally healthy; if not I would also suggest to get medical certificates and be as transparent as possible in front of your colleagues and supervisors. If you do well for a while, I am sure those judgments will fade -- people tend to get bored even thinking about old drama and look for new things. Try not to over perform either because that might cause new fluctuations. So I would say consistency is probably the best strategy.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lost a job from drinking. I drank so much after work that I'd take Vicodin in the morning for hangovers until I was up to 30 750 mg vikes a day plus booze no money lost everything.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Well, teacher here as well. I pulled the usual sick card a couple of times a month pretty regularly. However I have now been sober for almost 2.5 years. I have never once called in sick, no matter how cruddy I'm actually feeling, am usually the first one in the building in the morning and sometimes the last to leave during my entire soberiety. I'm not sure if I will take any sick days in the future, but I can tell you this. If I do, no one will question me about it.

So you see, reputations can be rehabilitated, but you've got to work your butt off to earn it.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have drank AT work many times. And when I drink, everyone could tell, because when i'm drinking, I'm overly outgoing and talkative and get nothing done. So embarrassing and something i'm not proud of. I'm an accountant, and attention to details is very important, yet i'd forget little things.
I quit my last job because of my drinking. Two weeks ago, I started a new job. I'm determined to not drink at work this time. It's not fair to anyone involved. The company is paying me to work, not to drink.
Alcohol has seeped it's way into ruining almost all areas of my life. I feel like I realized that too late...a lot of damage could have been avoided. But I also know, if i continue to drink, things will get worse, and i'll lose this new job.