Notices

Accidental realization

Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidental realization

I have been sick for the last two days. Just a really bad cold that stuffed up my nose. I hate drinking anything when my nose is clogged. I probably had one beer the night before last and a half of a beer last night. Anyways, last night I experienced the worst night sweats (soaks) ever ( and I have withdrawn from benzodiazepines before). Also, the craziest, realist, and oddly nostalgic dreams ever last night. I called the doctor today thinking my cold was turning into something worse, until realizing for the last two nights I have had no beer after consuming about a 6-8 pack every night before bed for the past couple months. So I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and I want to know if this is registering with other alcohol withdrawal experiences. And if I should bring it up to my doc tomorrow. I didn't think I was an alcoholic but obviously this made me think. Here I am thinking I am sick from bacteria but probably am worse than I really believe I am as far as alcohol goes. Like I said I have been addicted to and withdrawn from substances before. Just didn't think this could occur from a 6 to 8 beer regimen every night. Please any help is appreciated.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

pretty much echoing what happened with me. didn't even think about the level of drink or what i was doing until i had a couple of days and then boom, shaking and sweating and a complete ******* mess... and yeah the dreams, man, they aren't good ok... and then it was like oh holy ****, that's what's going on. if you're putting something into your body regularly at a certain level for a few months, when you remove it, you will react. i didn't think i was an alcoholic because i didn't look at myself that way until i was really forced to.

at that point i'd start asking myself why i'm drinking 8 beers a night before bed. if it's a strong, large beer, that's 3 units per. even at six, that could be 18 units a night, that's a lot of alcohol man.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I used to think if I drank under a fifth a night I was a pretty normal regimen too. Trust me it's not normal to drink 6 to 8 beers a night (at least for a normal healthy person). The symptoms sound like alcohol withdrawals from my experience. Could be a combination. Booze wreaks havoc on your immune system. If you don't give your doctor all the information he won't be able to accurately diagnose your problem and give you proper treatment.
Good luck!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Wrangler its nice to meet you
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just went to a social function tonight I had to leave because I really started freaking out and shaking and getting the sweats. I still haven't been drinking. It was a bad atmosphere and almost had the feeling of a horrible setting for an acid trip. Had to have my gf come get me. At which point I broke down and started crying. This is not normal behavior for me. They were normally tall boys I would drink every single night. I do have anxiety problems and I knew I have been self medicating for a while and at some point I would have to stop. This has scared me enough I do not wish to go any farther or relapse and have to go through something worse than this is horrible to even think about. I am going to be honest with my doctor tomorrow. I appreciate the responses they are very reassuring. I've gotten home with my gf and calmed down. Hoping for the worst is over with the night sweats tonight. The dreams I can deal with I guess. Just kinda made me wake up feeling like something real had just happened in my life but I knew I was dreaming. Anyways good night and thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to SR, wrangler.

I'm sorry you've had such a rough couple of days, but I'm glad you're going to see your doctor. That's the right move under the circumstances.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah night sweats mean the train has reached the station with alcohol. These started about a year before I stopped.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whatever has caused the sweats , you've started to look at your alcohol intake.
You found this here! I think you've come to the right place.
Good luck and never be complacent.
The good news is that most if not all your "anxiety problem" may just fade away, and if not you'll at least be able to see it for what it is.
Sounds like you have a great girlfriend.
The night sweats don't last forever and soon even if you don't sleep well you'll be getting better quality sleep .
Keep in there.
John.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a sober plan Wrangler ? it really helps bud

spk soon
Old 03-11-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Wrangler, sounds like alcohol withdrawal both physically and psychologically. Congratulations on being honest with your doctor and recognizing that you may have an issue and want to address it. Once you get through the withdrawals (if it is indeed withdrawal), things calm down. I wish you the very best.