Notices

Nutritional support for recovery

Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nutritional support for recovery

Does anyone know of a nutritional protocol that assists with recovery? I don't mean in lieu of other support, but in addition to it. I have noticed I don't feel all that strong/healthy since quitting.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long has it been since you stopped drinking? That could have a lot to do with it.

I usually try to focus on healthy, digestively friendly foods. High fiber, whole grains, white meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. I also lowered my sodium intake significantly, for blood pressure and health anxiety issues.

Something that really helped me, was to make healthier versions of my favorite comfort foods. Making a complete and sudden dietary overhaul usually doesn't succeed in my case, so I would find ways to make the old, slightly unhealthy recipes a little more healthy, and would make them every few days, and on the off days I would make healthier foods.

I tried to find alternate healthy protein as well, so I wasn't consuming a lot of red meat to try and regain my strength. Things like yogurt, cottage cheese, fat-free milk, hard boiled egg whites, boneless skinless chicken breasts, avocados, unsalted nuts, etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks TheNatural. That is a good idea about overhauling favorites into healthier versions. I was directed by my doctor to cut back on sodium for the same reasons. My BP is very high. I have been psuedo-sober since Oct. I have slipped a few times, hence the psuedo label. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I myself find that I need a quality vitamin B Complex or Balanced B50 for keeping my memory functional. To give you an idea how important it is for me, if I miss it 3 days in a row - I forget where I keep my vitamins.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your hypertension is alcohol related, it can easily be reversed by 1) Stop drinking, obviously 2)Some very minor diet changes 3)Light exercise

Those are very good places to start. Recently I had a big relapse, and three days after my binge, I had my BP taken and it was 170-180 over 110-120 and then, just three days after that, I had it taken at the doc, and it was 144/88. That was with some significant anxiety as well. I am also in terrible shape, I had begun smoking again out of stress, and was still very weak from my binge and being a pile of gross for a couple weeks.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

I read a book called the vitamin cure for alcoholism. Not to say we should all run out and shovel in supplements but it was also rather informative as to what our bodies could be lacking and why and how that all affects us and possibly why we drank to begin with etc.. It was pretty informative.

If i where to recomend something other then takeing wtvr vitamins one might be in need of. I'd say i couldnt stress it enough that you should eat your fruits and veggies. And if you think you've eaten enough of them eat some more anyhow chances are you got some catching up to do.

I used to think i ate enough fiber till I went vegan and my hemmorroids disappeared and I started feeling even better. My point is I thought i had it all in order but my body still was in need of some more fruits and veggies.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

also run the numbers for yourself. calorie for calorie there is ions more nutrition in fruits and veggies then any other option. If you think your depleted in some way what better way then to eat the powerhouses etc...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I have had fantastic results with The Fast Metabolism Diet by Hailey Pomeroy.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a very big commitment - for 28 days. But it was exactly what I needed to get on the straight and narrow. I have done 3 rounds of it, lost 30 lbs and gained so much energy it was nuts.

Plus all the cooking and chopping and planning kept my mind busy and off of drinking.

It's an investment in you that is well worth the time.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just be sure not to overwhelm yourself. Unless directed by a doctor, you can make nutrition changes gradually. I've tried making an entire new grocery list and running out buying all new things and tried to radically change everything about my lifestyle, but just like randomly trying to completely quit drinking, it often fails without a decent plan in place.

One thing that's pretty easy to change and will make you feel better is to cut out a bad food habit or two. Like abstaining from drinking soda, or cutting out sweets, things of that nature. It can be as much mental as it is physical. The first nutritional change I made was stopping the liquid calories. No pop, no sugar in coffee, etc. I drank a lot more water, and felt a big, fast change once I was able to get myself fully hydrated. The next one was switching to whole grains. I still ate pasta, it was just wheat pasta, I replaced sandwiches with white bread to chicken, hot sauce, and lettuce in a wheat wrap. I actually like those better and they were much more healthy, whole grains in the wrap, lean protein in the chicken, fiber in the lettuce, and 0 calories in the hot sauce. Lots of flavor and good stuff in about 220 calories. I didn't supplement fiber, but I increased my fiber intake as well, with apples, greens, and bran cereal.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the great advice!