Old 02-20-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Step Three

Thoughts? That's where I'm at now
Old 02-20-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.

I like this explanation:

Step Three is to make a decision, a decision to rely on the guidance of a Higher Power, whatever that is to you, rather than relying on a an inflated sense of ego or willpower. What Step Three calls for is trying to be in accord with one’s Higher Power, to do “the next right thing,” rather than act out of self-will, resentment, self-seeking or self-pity.
Itmeans taking the Serenity Prayer to heart. As the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions says, “…it is really easy to begin the practice of Step Three. In all times of emotional disturbance or indecision, we can pause, ask for quiet, and in the stillness simply say, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. Thy will, not mine be done.”
Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad yer asking about it,Alaina. I'm thinkin that the last few days may have had some light bulbs go off for ya? Do you have a,complete grasp that yer powerless over alcohol and understand how your life is unmanageable? Are you now willing to believe there is a power greater than you that can restore you to sanity, as in from the insanity of thinking you can drink with no Ill effects?
Step three- made a decision to turn our will and lives over to the care of God as we understood HIm.
After
C) that God could and would If he were sought, the bb explains the reasons why we Have to turn over our will and our lives.
My will is my thoughts my life is my actions. I have to remember I turned them over to the care of God. I still have them, but I am now willing to learn exactly what His will for me is and how to appply it to my life, which when I turn it over, I proceed to the next step.
And I come to believe by working the steps.
One thing I strongly encourage you to do is go through the steps with a sponsor, one who has worked the steps and practices the principles in all their affairs.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

"let go or be dragged."

for me i had a lot of problems and in my mind reasons to drink. I had to surrender and let go of it. and realize there are things I simply cannot control. I had to accept that. And I had to handle the things I could control instead of spinning my wheels and driven myself nuts.

I gotta say being able to surrender and let go fo stuff is very relieving.

I'll give an example

I sobered up in june of 2011. I had a mountain of debt. day in and dya out i was terrified of that debt. i worried i paniced. By october or so I just could not handle it anymore. I decided it was bigger then me. I let it go. I simply quit paying it and said its out of my control I could not fix it. it was too big for me.

The relief i felt was IMMENSE i felt SO MUCH BETTER. I instantly had a pay raise and was ablet to feed my family without panicing about mastercard etc... It was great. By march / april of the following year solutions came the money came and i was able to resolve all the debt. and ya know whats best? from October to March I didnt worry about it. I was free!.

Got issues you cant handle? give em up and move on liberate yourself trust your higher power will take care of you have some faith etc... Tackle the stuff you can tackle. The relief you get from this is immense. it was for me anyhow. Like a ton of bricks was lifted off my shoulders.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Step 3 can be as simple as a commitment to move forward. As in:

Made a decision to go on with the remaining steps.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

after this step it is wise to work with a sponsor
Old 02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alaina you know there 12 step support for exactly these questions your asking bud ?

Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good luck Alaina
Old 02-20-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Step 3 can be as simple as a commitment to move forward. As in:

Made a decision to go on with the remaining steps.

It really is that simple in my experience. The proof that I took step three was that I took step 4. Taking step four was not my will, far from it. It was God's will and the first real step in removing the things in my nature that had been blocking me.

A full explanation of step 3 and instructions on how to take it, and what to do immediately afterward are found on page 60, after the A,B,C,s, through to page 64.

It is also suggested that it is very desirable to take this step with and understanding person.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going to ask the woman to be my sponsor on Tuesday. If there's not some polar vortex or natural disaster that cancels the meeting lol. I'd just ask now but I panicked over something and erased my phone and I wasn't thinking to write down AA people's numbers.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by alaina742 View Post
I'm going to ask the woman to be my sponsor on Tuesday. If there's not some polar vortex or natural disaster that cancels the meeting lol. I'd just ask now but I panicked over something and erased my phone and I wasn't thinking to write down AA people's numbers.
i'm jealous. I dont have a sponsor and wish i did. but i dont get to AA enough myself and dunno who to even ask of the group.

it would be wise of me to figure that out. sure would be nice to have someone i could talk to locally etc..