Notices

Meetings

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meetings

Health issues is what stopped my drinking,I was never brave enough or accepting of what I was to go to alcohol help groups it in my eyes takes an incredibly brave person to do this,does anybody goto meetings or has been in the past?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.

AA is the largest self help group in the world with a great recovery record IF we work the program on a long term basis.
The members are there to help each other stay sober and understand with the pain we temporally go through.
No matter which path of sobriety we choose success is long term work and change, like it or not.

The results are wonderful as it’s great to feel comfortable in our own skin compared to the misery continued drinking delivers.

BE WELL
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DELBERTM,

going to a real-life meeting was about the scariest thing i ever did. seriously. i was terrified.
when i got sober, i participated on an internet forum (LifeRing), and they had a real-life meeting in my town.
deep inside, i knew that i needed to walk into that meeting once, just once, to cement into myself the fact that i was a drunk. to do this for myself by walking into a meeting of strangers but real face-to-face people.
i was only going to do this one time. it was super important to me to make myself do it.
i kept wanting to run; chicken out.
but deep down i needed to do it in order to not just acknowledge what i was but in order to confirm that was done with running.
i trepidated all the way there. and i wasn't going to say a word other than maybe my name.
i spoke for twenty minutes and couldn't wait til the next meeting

hugely helpful, relief, release, on all levels.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings today and have been for 9+ years.
And have been sober since.Plus the added benefit of a pretty awesome life.
But that involved more than just going to meetings.
Walking into that first meeting was the scariest thing I ever did. Fear of the unknown- having no idea what life without alcohol would be like.
Two things got me through them doors: courage and fear of what would happen if I didn't walk through them doors.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could not find the courage to go so I called AA. They had an AA member call me back and I agreed to go to a meeting. She picked me up and took me to a meeting and dropped me back home.

I have been sober and going to regular AA meetings since that day. I have a sponsor, a home group, I worked the steps and I enjoy the wonderful friends and the fellowship I have found in AA.

If you are to scared, make a call to AA. They may be able to arrange something like they did for me. Made that first step back in to the meetings easier and it was just what I needed to get me moving on my journey.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You wouldn't believe some of the stupid, outrageous things I had the courage to do when I had alcohol in my system. Wait, you probably would . . .

I realized that if I could do such stupid things while drinking, then sucking it up and going to an AA meeting was nothing.

So I did, and I'm a better man for it.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Worth going if your curious Del
Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would say, definitely try if you are thinking about it. Why not? There is nothing to lose really... nothing else than your initial anxiety at minimum

There are many different possibilities for participating in recovery groups, AA is only one albeit the largest and most popular. You can find info on different organized programs online and also here on SR. You can also go to group therapy for addicts, or individual counseling.

You can also start something on your own if you just need connection and support with others in recovery in a more free style. I'm quite an initiator kind of spirit... One idea I had when I was ~3 months sober was to start a book club / discussion group for recovering alcoholics/addicts where we would meet to discuss the recovery literature, individual approaches we experiment with, our challenges, just talk about life, maybe some sober outings together... I thought of starting this on meetup.com. Finally never did, but I still like the idea.

Whatever you are going to do, the important thing is, if you feel the need, go ahead and do it before thoughts of drinking come up too strong instead.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been going to AA meetings for 23 years and wouldn't be alive without them. I was on my hands and knees after a very close brush with death and didn't think it possible to not drink one day at a time. I wasn't brave, I was desperate because I knew it was stop drinking or die. I keep going because denial & rationalization are perched on my shoulder, always whispering in my ear. And, while I know I have another drink in me I don't think I have another recovery in me. Most important, I go to help other recovering alcoholics, the most rewarding thing I've ever done. I'm still an agnostic but AA is wide enough to include everyone.

If you're interested, you don't have to say a word when going to a meeting. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking", one of the most important sentences in the Big Book.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Meetings could save your life, but you never know unless you try! I have learned a ton and found the hope, strength and courage that is mentioned at meetings .

We tend to isolate, at least I do. Going to a meeting is a great way to get out of my own head and be around other people. You learn just as much from the other people and relationships you make at the meetings as you do from being present at the meeting.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DELBERTM View Post
Health issues is what stopped my drinking,I was never brave enough or accepting of what I was to go to alcohol help groups it in my eyes takes an incredibly brave person to do this,does anybody goto meetings or has been in the past?
Everyone has to hit a bottom.
There has to be sufficient pain to change, thats what makes us change is pain.
Tons go to meetings, Tons go back drinking. Meetings are just one branch of recovery. Unity. Fellowship.
The program, working the 12 steps, through the text book as its laid out, like a recipe for success and sobriety, helping others, getting out of self, self deflation, ego deflation, keeps us in sobriety. Meetings alone give you a very slim chance for sobriety. Working all 12 steps in quick fashion, gives you a 75% chance for sobriety. In all honesty, those are the best odds in the entire world.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
You wouldn't believe some of the stupid, outrageous things I had the courage to do when I had alcohol in my system. Wait, you probably would . . .

I realized that if I could do such stupid things while drinking, then sucking it up and going to an AA meeting was nothing
Oh ain't that the truth.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It was one of the scariest moments of my life walking into my first AA meeting, but the fellowship has helped me SO much. Stopping pouring alcohol down my neck was one thing, and I could do that alone. What I couldn't do alone was learn to live a happy sober life, and that's what the fellowship does for me and for others. If you look at the AA Promises, there is very little talk about actual alcohol. The Promises are about our new serene, peaceful and happy lives....

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed
before we are half way through.
2. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
3. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
4. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
5. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience
can benefit others.
6. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
7. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
8. Self-seeking will slip away.
9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
10. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
11. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
12. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for
ourselves
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us -
sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
Alcoholics Anonymous p83-84
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

DELBERT,

in many places, there are all kinds of different meetings, supporting different ways of doing this.
possibly you have options about what kinds of meetings to check out. a lot of cities, for example, have SMART meetings.

my personal experience is that overcoming the fear of going, that alone was worth the struggle of doing it.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

...although, to be honest, I wouldn't say I was 'brave', just 'desperate'.

My stepdad was in AA though (RIP) and I think knowing how much it had helped him, and having met some of his AA 'family' and his sponsor, and knowing what lovely people they were (although in a different geographical area) did help me form more positive expectations that some people have of who and what they're going to find in a meeting.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I went and for the first time in my life I felt like I belonged. AA is still the place I feel safest and most at home. Plus it had the side benefit of saving my life.