Notices

Working it out

Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working it out

Since recognising I might have an issue my insight has been freaking me out.
Red light come on in my car today and since losing my job and stuffing an interview because of drink I am pretty damn poor.
I took it to the garage and I knew straight away that if it was a big job I would be drinking every pub on my walk home because I was angry.
Turned out to be fine and all of a sudden I was back on my high horse thinking iv got sobriety nailed.
Guess I don't.
Even recognising that has made me worry a little. Got a strong compulsion when I drove to my friends house where I usually get very sorry in the morning also.
Its been such a large part of my life and what I do that I don't really know who i'm supposed to be without it.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best part of recovery for me was finding out who I was supposed to be

What have you been doing about that 1987?

D
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, 1987. Sobriety and recovery involved a great deal of introspection and self-examination in order to find comfort in my sober skin. It was a little frightening to embark upon that journey but it turned out to be a very worthwhile and rewarding venture.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It was a huge part of my life, too. Now I can't believe how much time I wasted.

What did you like to do when you were younger, before booze became the standard all-purpose time waster? Start there. You might still enjoy doing some of those things.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most of us undergo significant changes in our behavior, interests, preferences, lifestyle etc in sobriety. It's not easy in the beginning. I've always been an introspective person and interested in self-work, so for me being part of a recovery community where so many of us are really into this way of living is a great experience that goes beyond sobriety.

Trying to figure out what to do with this new phase of our lives can be both an interesting and frustrating journey initially. SR is a great source of success stories and people who can help you find your way if you reach out. I would recommend starting with small changes and building it up. Experiment with new things and you will also learn about yourself on the go.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The discovery of a new life was uncomfortable at first but after a while it became a breath of fresh air!!

We no longer have to be controlled or chained down by alcohol, we can be us, think, feel, live, make choices that we want to make, not because alcohol tells us that is what we should be doing!!

Embrace it and carve out a life to be proud of!!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey
Cheers guys, its good to know that you have all had similar experiences and that they all seemed to be positive in the end.
I just feel as though iv been trying to live up to a particular image for years to compensate for my shortcomings. Now the mask and bravado are slipping I realise im anything but.
Its embarrassing thinking about what a mess iv made in the past but if anything realising that's giving me more reason to recognise alcohol and drugs as a large contributor.
I sat for a long time the other day thinking what in the blue f*** do people do if their not drinking out, drinking in, sleeping, or dealing with a apocalyptic hangover. It was quite a bewildering and terrifying process
You guys are right though im going to pick up a few things where I left off and try and find out what im really about.
If I felt as confident in life as I did in the pub id be sorted. I Suppose I have had more practice at the latter so practice makes perfect with the other as well I guess.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post 1987