Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I feel my sobriety is under threat from social pressure

Notices

I feel my sobriety is under threat from social pressure

Old 01-17-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Sometimes a person has to jettison people places and thing to remain sober

Either that or the booze will remove them anyway

I live my life nowadays on my terms..not those of a slave

Don't worry it gets better

V
Old 01-18-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think your anger is a little out of proportion George....maybe there's a little fear in there too?

A mistake was made, you got through it - let it go
Hanging onto that anger will do nothing but make you want a drink, trust me.

I would definitely stay away from bars for a while. Recovery is hard enough without making it agonising.

D
Hi Dee,

Thanks for your message. I was a little upset last night I think and looking back, I was in a bar, it was loud, and I suppose we have to expect that being in those environments can make us liable to getting into those kind of situations.

Then truth is, I am worried that even though it was just one sip, that it might trigger a relapse, I feel that I am back to day one today to be honest. I had alcohol last night. And waking up this morning, I strangley almost feels bit hungover. Tired, groggy, with a slight headache. Hmmm. The drink was quite strong so it's possible.

Next weekend, I am travelling to see this girl. I don't think she is a big drinker but I realised, I need to say to her before I am not drinking, to safeguard my sobriety. If I start drinking in Paris then it's over.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vandermast View Post
Sometimes a person has to jettison people places and thing to remain sober

Either that or the booze will remove them anyway

I live my life nowadays on my terms..not those of a slave

Don't worry it gets better

V
Hi Vandermast, I know, it's true.

I think I will avoid bars and pubs for now. It just gets hard sometimes as I feel like a bit of a loser, kind of avoiding a lot of social events in the evening. Almost as if I'm the leper, when in fact, I'm doing something to better my life in the long term.

I think with drinking friends, I will suggest just going to restaurants from now on. Where you can sit and enjoy the meal and I am not going to be served alcohol on accident..I suppose if you go to the lions den, you have to expect you can get bitten. I was naive, but it's a learning curb and I will have to modify my approach next time.