Notices

Working memory

Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working memory

I have noticed a decline in my working memory during much of the day when sober and on a day that I don't drink at all. I had assumed this was due to stress, benzodiazepines and alcohol but with less stress and no benzos during the past months, there hasn't been much improvement so I attribute it completely to alcohol right now. I was always known to have a good memory until I started drinking more heavily in the past few years.

How long does memory recovery take after stopping alcohol or does it ever fully recover?
Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I can only speak from my expierience. I'm not the same person I once was I dont do well multi-tasking and also struggle to remember various things. I have over 3 years sobriety. Some of this maybe its age? maybe its from the booze? But some of this I have come to the realization it just always has been this way and I've learned to accept it. Things have gotten better since I sobered up and got past the first 6 months or so. In my case if i was seeking perfection i'd be disappointed.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm 41 so maybe mine is age as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nobody is good at "multi tasking". Nobody.

I've not noticed memory issues from alcohol....weed on the other hand....
Old 01-03-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I became a vegetarian in my 20's. Shorty after that I began to experience memory problems. Found out that there are 3 groups of people who need extra vitamin B; Vegetarians, alcoholics and senior citizens.

To give you an idea how important vitamin B Complex is for me today... If I fail to take it 3 days in row, I forget where I keep my vitamins.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know if it is the same thing but I suffered from foggy-brain for about six months. I also found it incredibly difficult to concentrate. After the six month mark, things began to improve but improvement was gradual.

We really damage our bodies and minds when we drink alcoholically; it takes time to heal.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
To give you an idea how important vitamin B Complex is for me today... If I fail to take it 3 days in row, I forget where I keep my vitamins.
Interesting. My gripe with the B complex is things go well then i get really spacy and dizzy and just wont take them anymore as a result. the weird thing is years ago they really helped me I'd feel more alive and energetic. so I dont get it.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It definitely takes time I am 46 and only 3 weeks in and I see it. Some I truly am not sure if people told me and I was half in the bag or if it is a temporary brain damage thing. Either way I plan to at least stop it from escalating. It will get better!!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

does anyone know where i have put my glasses ? : )

i go insane looking for my specs i just can never remember where i put them. i dont know why that happens but it does.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take multi B vitamins everyday to avoid the thiamin deficiency so it's not that.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Will777 View Post
I take multi B vitamins everyday to avoid the thiamin deficiency so it's not that.
Depending on how much you're drinking, taking the supplement might not help much because your body is not able to absorb it properly.

I had pretty severe memory loss, especially at first. At nearly 2 years sober, it's a lot better than it was at any time while I was drinking, but the improvement has been so gradual as to be almost imperceptible at times.

The only way for you to find out if your memory loss is alcohol-related is for YOU to stop drinking for long enough to make a realistic evaluation.

Everyone's different, but a baseline of 90 days is not unreasonable.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good point about the absorption. Out of curiosity; how long did you drink an amount you think significantly affected your memory and how old are you?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not gonna answer that. Why? Because no matter what I say, chances are your alcoholic brain will find a way to twist it into some version of "Well, I'm not that bad yet -- party on!" Ask me how I know!

It seems like you're concerned about your memory loss, but at this point are not quite concerned enough to want to be sober more than you want to be drunk.

That's fine -- that's exactly where I was for a long time myself -- but I will tell you that I certainly wish I'd made the decision to get sober sooner than I did.

Good luck! SR will always be here as a resource when you're ready to quit.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey Will! You just cut off your bodies main "fuel". It is in shock!!
It takes a few weeks for it to line out. But it is sooo worth it. Im glad you got the vitamins. You are doing so good!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good topic -

I posted not long ago about the "fog" lifting at 6 months. Seems to be a timeline for others a well. It was as if a veil was lifted. I had bouts of dizziness and couldn't remember simple 5-6 digit numbers - ie a verification code etc. One day it was as if I awoke - like the movie (awakening).

Now my the critical thinking skills are much stronger and longer term memory is firing away. Recalling many things from years ago.

I had become concerned brain would never be the same. Now I feel as if it's not too late - though geezer-dom is calling.....

BTW - I am in mid 50's

FlyN
Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There are similar discussions in benzo support forums. It sounds like most memory ability returns with enough abstinence time from benzos and alcohol. But that assumption is just from forum posts and not scientific studies.