Notices

sudden decrease in tolerance??

Old 11-07-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sudden decrease in tolerance??

Hi! I am new to this forum stuff so sorry if it is something already discussed. I just need some opinions... Basically, I have been a moderate drinker (usually 6-12 beers/night) for several years. Recently, I have been feeling drunk with much less alcohol than before.. Which I guess is a good thing, cuz I need to cut back and eventually stop drinking anyway. My main concern is that my craving for beer hasn't decreased with the tolerance and if anything has gotten worse. Any ideas for what is causing this? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Decreased tolerance, or reverse tolerance is not a good thing. It's a very bad sign for an alcoholic.

Please see your doctor and be honest about your drinking.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi SusieD,

When I was oblivious of my drinking patterns, I always thought everyone drank like I did. It was quite a shocker when I realized that wasn't true. You may want to think a bit on the fact that having 6-12 beers a night is not moderate drinking.

All the best,

Methodman
Old 11-07-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me it was a sign my body was giving out. My liver could no longer metabolize the alcohol. I would definitely get to a doctor ASAP.

Hate to tell you this but there is nothing moderate about drinking 6-12 beers a day. 6-12 qualifies you as a full blown alcoholic
Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, reverse tolerance is bad. Get to the doctor.

From the CDC:

What does moderate drinking mean?
According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, moderate alcohol consumption is defined as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days.
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol
Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The last thing I wanted to do when drinking was actually stop to see if it would improve my situation. Decreased tolerance is not a good sign on the alcoholic timeline-usually means compromised liver function (not metabolizing fast enough). See a Dr. Be honest with your daily intake and your tolerance issues. He will run appropriate tests to see where you stand. Hopefully you can put together a detox plan there also. Best wishes.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by SusieD View Post
Basically, I have been a moderate drinker (usually 6-12 beers/night) for several years. Recently, I have been feeling drunk with much less alcohol than before.. Which I guess is a good thing, cuz I need to cut back and eventually stop drinking anyway. My main concern is that my craving for beer hasn't decreased with the tolerance and if anything has gotten worse. Any ideas for what is causing this? Thanks in advance.
6-12 beers is way over any guidelines for healthy drinking, and if your intake has been at this level for a few years, you may have damaged your health.

Rather than stop drinking 'eventually' please consider getting a health check and treatment for alcoholism right now. You can stop drinking, but please don't do it without a doctor's supervision.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well... I have to say.. None of this sounds too good. 😞... Lol. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have a Dr/insurance? Also, thanks for the answers.. They have been very helpful. 😀
Old 11-07-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Well... I have to say.. None of this sounds too good. 😞... Lol. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have a Dr/insurance? Also, thanks for the answers.. They have been very helpful. 😀
The question you need to answer is, "Are you ready to be sober?"
Old 11-07-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are usually programs for people who are serious about becoming sober.

MIRecovery is correct though. None of that matters if you aren't ready to quit.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good question... The only thing that worries me more than being a drunk for the rest of my life is being sober for the rest of my life (if that makes any sense). I would like to quit, but so far my attempts have not lasted any loner than a month or so.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good question... The only thing that worries me more than being a drunk for the rest of my life is being sober for the rest of my life (if that makes any sense). I would like to quit, but so far my attempts have not lasted any loner than a month or so.
I think many of us have felt this way and, of those people, many will say that getting sober was among the best things they have ever done.

There is more to sobriety than putting down the drink. What have you tried in the past to get sober?

Welcome to SR!!!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

No medical advice here but reverse tolerance is an indicator of limited life span. So there may not be a much of a "Rest of my life" unless you quit drinking
Old 11-07-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Not drinking again IS sobriety. That is what you need. Anything else won't affect your liver, and that's what needs help right now.

Susie, being sober for the rest of your life means being free to be you, and that sounds to me like a pretty good way to be. Believe you can do it (you can absolutely do it, no question) and believe you deserve it (of course you do!) and refuse to accept anything less.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If you have not tried AA, you certainly should give it a shot. It gave me the life skills to stay sober.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fresh start's by-line mentions AVRT. Have you look into that, Susie?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 11-07-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good question... The only thing that worries me more than being a drunk for the rest of my life is being sober for the rest of my life (if that makes any sense).
It makes perfect sense to another alcoholic!

I would like to quit, but so far my attempts have not lasted any longer than a month or so.
Will power did not work for me. I could say I am not drinking tonight and have a drink in front of me three minutes after I walked in the door. It would have been one minute if I didn't have to take off my shoes and let the dog out.

I went to AA and I am sober today. I learned how to live without alcohol. The obsession to drink is gone. I no longer want alcohol. Living sober is free. I left the cage. I HAD to drink and now I have no reason or desire to.

It sounds magic, it is not.

It takes willingness, honesty, work, patience, help and prayer but I can tell you that every step I took was worth it to be free today.

You just have to decide if you are an alcoholic and if you want help. If you have the desire to stop drinking then you should try AA.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive disease: "man takes a drink, the drink takes a drink and the drink takes the man."
Old 11-07-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope that you get to a doctor soon.

My liver enzymes were elevated when I went into the treatment center, but they quickly went down to normal levels after I had been alcohol-free for a couple of months.

6 - 12 beers per night may sound moderate to someone who thinks alcoholically like I do, but our bodies don't care about labels and adjectives.

That amount of alcohol every night constitutes a full frontal assault on our livers, central nervous systems, etc.

I hope that you hang around here and and that you try to get and stay sober.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to drink about that amount. I called it " a few after work" my tolerance dropped dramatically. I now have a polycystic kidney. You really need to stop now. I'm scared for you