Notices

Bucks night

Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bucks night

I have over 2 years and despite a couple rough periods am fine with social drinking situations. I have however avoided the heavy drinking sessions where the intent is to get smashed. These were my bread and butter.

I went to a bucks night recently that I couldn't avoid. I had a rock solid plan but it was hard work and left me a bit frazzled. A lot of old feelings and behaviours came up leaving me confused and disoriented. Particularly as these guys know me as a drinker.

Felt great the next morning though.

Made me realize upon reflection that we are all really on the right track. I feel more sure of this than I have in a long time.

I often see posts like "Work party at a bar should I go ..." etc.

For anyone thinking of it. Don't. If absolutely unavoidable have a rock solid plan and put it out there early.

At least I got people driven home safe.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey nigey1, well done.
For anyone thinking of it. Don't.
I have to admit that I do get the temptation to test myself. Not so much due to any form of alcohol cravings per se, but to just have a few drinks like a 'normal' person to boost my social life a bit. I have yet to do that, and hopefully I have the sense to never go down that road.

The truth is that I do feel that I could go out and have a couple and then stop. I also know that I would be solely focussed on wanting another, and then spending the remainder of the night fighting the urge. How much fun is that? None, so steering clear seems like the smart move.

I also still avoid most of the social drinking situations myself, even if I have no intention of drinking. Mainly because when you're the sober guy, it's just not too much fun to be around drunk people. I feel too out of place and the only way to feel 'in place' would be to join in the intoxication.

These type of posts re-enforce my focus, so I wanted to say thanks for reminding me that I need to just stay the course.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

last time for me, i took a "sit back and watch the show" attitude. i did get a show! Ha! and i took advantage of the free food situation. if there was only drinks, it would be tougher,