Notices

How do you NOT drink?

Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you NOT drink?

How do people who have no current job and no girlfriend want to do anything BUT drink? Where do you all go to meet people? (I go to SMART Recovery on Mondays).
Old 11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I focus on the myriad things I CAN do. It's like watching water come to a boil. Do I sit there and focus intently on the water for X number of minutes until it comes to a rolling boil, straining myself, wishing hard for the water to boil? No. I go about the kitchen and rest of the house and do whatever else can be done while that water and heat source work together to bring it to the rolling boil.

There's a saying to wear your sobriety like a loose sweater. I don't need to wear a tight fitting sweater that's going to cut off my circulation and make me feel claustrophobic. I can slip on a loose sweater... it's going to stay on me and fit comfortably and allow me a nice range of motion so that I can move about and live. I don't have to be acutely or painfully aware of the fact I'm wearing it.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Greencolor, I was a drunk 7 days ago. had no girlfriend and no job. and sold my vehicles. I live with my mother and stepfather.

Today, I am sober. the girlfriend and employment should be around the corner. What girl wants a drunk for a boyfriend,"thats what I said to my self"

Get sober, stay sober and the rest will fall into place.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Popeye2014 View Post
What girl wants a drunk for a boyfriend
The only person that thinks a drunk is attractive is another drunk.

Originally Posted by GreenColor
Where do you all go to meet people? (I go to SMART Recovery on Mondays).
I go to SMART Recovery too, but in my area it only meets twice a month. In the early stages of sobriety that is not enough, in my opinion. In the early stages of sobriety, it is important to be around sober people, preferably people who have a lot of sober time. I don't like everything about AA, and I don't like many of the people there, but one certainly is able to find people with a lot of sober time in those meetings (for some reason, I find the people at NA more interesting and less objectionable).

What are your hobbies? Meetup.com has been a great way for me to meet people that share the same interests. For example, I belong to meetup groups centered around vegetarians, scuba divers, kayakers and canoers, and dachshund owners. There is a meetup group for anything imaginable.