Notices

Naltrexone for cravings

Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone for cravings

I am two weeks sober and have had a hard time with cravings and strong urges to drink. When I am having a good day all of a sudden I get the preoccupation with getting a drink and can't let go of it. Awful! I told my psychiatrist about it and she suggested I could try Naltrexone, which reduces cravings for alcoholics and opiate addicts.

Well I have only been taking it for a few days but the difference is immediate and dramatic ! No preoccupation with drinking or craving, and for me in the last year it is the first time I can say that. If it continues this well I am going to have a much better shot at sobriety (I am also in an outpatient 12 step program). It blocks brain receptors so if I take a drink I will not get a high from it either. Nor if I took a Percocet or the like.

It isn't risk free you need a liver function blood test before you can take it. Also to carry a card so any Dr would know you take Naltrexone because if they gave you certain meds it would be life threatening. Most take it for a few months. It is non addictive and you don't get dependent on it.

I wanted to put this here in case it might also help others. I would be interested to hear from others who have tried it too.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was prescribed it after my last detox, but I've never used it personally.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I take it daily. It helps as far as I can tell. I've relapsed several times since deciding to become sober on 6/23, but it's only recently that I've taken it nightly. Granted, I had a very nasty relapse last week, but that was three days ago, and the naltrexone seems to not make me obsess over picking up the first drink.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's really great if you find something that helps you but just like Ythill wrote, a relapse still did occur. The best any of us can do is abstain long enough for the impulses to naturally subside. Nothing else works completely like abstinance, it's tough I know, I was there just you guys are now. If the Naltrexone helps curb the cravings use it as momentum but don't let yourself slip down the road.

Just saying that nothing is as effective as time. Hang in there, it does get better if you really stick to it. Get 6 months without a drink and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
I was prescribed it after my last detox, but I've never used it personally.
Did you just change your mind?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found something that helps you wanttosucceed

D
Old 10-28-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wanttosucceed, I have some of those pills. Think I will start mine Tonight.

Did you have any side effects?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
torquemax777

My husband was told by his SMART recovery leader that Naltrexzone works like Chantix does for smoking; in that like with Chantix, you smoke for the first couple weeks, then the way it helps you quit is that it blocks the chemical response in your brain that gives you the pleasure or "high" that you're seeking. He said Naltrexzone works the same; you're supposed to use it while you drink, so it will reinforce in your mind that alcohol no longer gives you a buzz. Don't know if that's true of bogus, but that's what the smart recovery leader said, and he works with doctors to help the people in meetings. I guess there's even some sort of expensive shot (like $1,000 per shot) that does the same thing-)makes it so alcohol just doesn't give you any buzz/pleasure. Not many alcoholics can afford $1,000 shots, and I think you have to get three or four of them. Insurance should cover this, but I doubt they do. Would be way cool though!

Last edited by torquemax777; 10-29-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-06-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Well, I did a very bad thing the other day. I drank my normal four, big tall boys of beer while I've been on Naltrexone for nearly a week now. I was deathly ill the next day, and I can't remember EVER feeling that horrible in a long time. I wonder if it had to do with the medicine. I still have the cravings. They're still so strong, but breaking the vicious cycle is what will be my hardest battle. Sigh. I hate that this is a life-long battle.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was about to be discharged from rehab, I was offered Naltrexone, they also offered me me something else, but the name escapes me. It was a shot that I could get monthly that would have similar effects. Anyone know to what I am referring?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool

In the SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) website there is a pamphlet all about Naltrexone (used primarily in drug addiction, in which it says.............:

"...Naltrexone blocks opioids from acting on the brain, so it takes away the reward of getting high on the problem drug. This feature makes naltrexone a good choice for preventing relapse...Naltrexone may not stop drug cravings..."

(o:
NoelleR
Old 03-06-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheNatural View Post
When I was about to be discharged from rehab, I was offered Naltrexone, they also offered me me something else, but the name escapes me. It was a shot that I could get monthly that would have similar effects. Anyone know to what I am referring?
The shot is Vivatrol.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Vivatrol is Naltrexone in injectable form, according to the VIVITROL® site... (naltrexone for extended-release injectable suspension.)
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My Dr. prescribed this 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a drink and cravings haven't been an issue. I wasn't given any card to carry around and I was told "You cannot drink. You are an alcoholic." I only see an issue if I'm in a bad car accident or something and I am not awake to tell them that the morphine is going to be bad news if they use it. I dunno, maybe I'll get a tattoo or something.

The "drinking while on Naltrexone" is not part of the intended use from the creators of the drug.

Bottom line is be completely honest with your Doctor and follow their instructions. That and don't depend on just the pill. A multi-pronged approach is what has been working for me.