Notices

Wow this feels odd!!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow this feels odd!!

After drinking alcohol for so long, my anxiety started getting a mind off his own. I kind of knew the triggers, meeting new people, going to social events (without a drink) etc etc .. whatever the trigger may be.

What I found strangely odd and pleasing was that, after I quite Alcohol, I would come across a situation that would usually start my anxiety, so I would brace myself for the low feeling. But then, wait a minute something's wrong, I don't feel that low, I actually feel OK, in fact I feel positive about the situation. The feeling of relief and enlightenment is great and still new to me, and it happens several times a day. That relief and enlightenment drives me to stay sober. Things feel so much better right now!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm an anxiety case too, and I agree, that's hands down the number one reason for me to be sober. I just quit for the second time last week and it was because I spent a beautiful day out in the sun walking the city with my boyfriend and a dear friend. We had a great day, and I enjoyed myself, but there was this constant anxiety underlying everything. I was incredibly hungover & hiding it & having to really fight to keep myself from stressing about finances, friends, family, life in general. And that's when I thought back to when I was sober and it finally clicked that I was torturing myself for no reason and it was time to quit again. I already feel a million times calmer, and so excited to start feeling this way all the time, as I remember from last time!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

I'm another as well.

Mine crept up in the last four years of my drinking. I did not associate mine with alcohol, but moreover leaving my job after 18 years. It got so bad that I was unable to even drive on the freeway, due to what I would guess were panic attacks. I struggled with that for a few years.

I also felt like the walls would close in on me when I was in stores. I would experience tunnel vision and sweaty palms. This was all new to me, as I have never had this stuff before and I had no reason to have them now (then).

When I stopped alcohol, and as some time went by, everything seemed to fall back into normalcy. I can now go to stores again without feeling like a freak, as well as drive on the freeways.

I had heard that alcohol can do this, but I never dreamed this was the culprit. This one benefit alone was worth the fight.

Thanks for the post. It was a good reminder for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lusher View Post
I'm another as well.

Mine crept up in the last four years of my drinking. I did not associate mine with alcohol, but moreover leaving my job after 18 years. It got so bad that I was unable to even drive on the freeway, due to what I would guess were panic attacks. I struggled with that for a few years.

I also felt like the walls would close in on me when I was in stores. I would experience tunnel vision and sweaty palms. This was all new to me, as I have never had this stuff before and I had no reason to have them now (then).

When I stopped alcohol, and as some time went by, everything seemed to fall back into normalcy. I can now go to stores again without feeling like a freak, as well as drive on the freeways.

I had heard that alcohol can do this, but I never dreamed this was the culprit. This one benefit alone was worth the fight.

Thanks for the post. It was a good reminder for me.
Thinking about it now, I was the same driving, I had a 2 hours drive to work everyday (one way) and I would panic that every vehicle I would go past or went past me would veer in to me, it was hell. So glad it's better now!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah MiniBK - the fear of facing reality for me was much more than the actual facing reality

I'm glad you discovered that, too

D