Notices

My Crutch

Old 09-25-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Crutch

Hi all havn't posted for a while, I am coming up to 3 years sober next month and am very grateful to all the support from the people from this forum and AA because without the support I know I would not be sober today so I just wan to say thankyou to you all.
But today I am struggling with the Withdrawals from caffeine, Since I got sober I have been using caffeine as a crutch for my alcoholism, might sound weird to some but I'm sure some of you might relate. I have been drinking energy drinks and coffee for the effect and it is a wicked cycle like when I was drinking. Waking up tired getting a fix and making sure I have enough to get me through the day, if I got thoughts of drinking alcohol a red bull would fix it. I'm no where near as bad as I was when I first stopped drinking, I was drinking up to 10 red bulls per day, now only a coffee in the morning and a few energy drinks through the day The problem is I can't moderate one little bit it's all or nothing for me even with caffeine.
I have quit caffeine probably 15 times in the last 3 years but have been unsuccessful every time, I have quit Alcohol, Drugs,and cigarettes now I am fighting this battle and it is as hard as any of my other addictions to stay stopped.
The Withdrawals I get from caffeine are really severe every time, I get migranes for 4 days, so lethargic I can't get out of bed for 2 days, depression, anger, sore muscles, vomating and feel like I have the flu, and I feel like my brain doesn't work for a couple weeks I know these symptoms so well because I keep going back through it.
Well today is day 3 again and I feel like I am in hell, splitting headache, no energy, depressed and I know 1 big redbull can will take it all away. Anyone would think I'm detoxing from a much harder substance. I know this relates to my alcolism and addict nature because I am drinking for the effect to make me feel better. So I am doing this one day at a time again but I am losing faith in myself because I keep going back to it and it is really affecting my sobriety.
I hope some of you may relate because I think I might need a bit of support to stay off this drug.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mpr

You should ween yourself off caffeine if you were consuming large amounts. Give it a week or two and you will feel fine. The caffeine related headaches, sluggishness etc.. are all fairly normal.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

i've quit cold turkey and i've weened. Honestly ween yourself off its much easier. taper down by half each day for a week or something.

If you feel sluggish after being off caffine for a month (tho i think you'll perk back up in 2 weeks tops) then you have to check if your getting enough sleep or have a good diet.

its a MYTH that we NEED caffine. i've fallen back into the caffine trap with a new baby in the home but then i quit again. But if our lives are balanced even just a little we wont need caffine.

Caffine is some rough stuff. and for me with anxiety it surely didnt help matters.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I switched from coffee to decaf. Decaf still has caffeine in it, generally about 25% as much, and I still got to drink my delicious coffee. Kept that routine for about 2 months. Replaced my coke zero with diet ginger ale, I need my fizzy drinks.

I couldn't cold turkey caffeine and still be a functional worker bee.