Notices

Any unusual food cravings?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any unusual food cravings?

I almost forgot this happened the last time I attempted to quit.

I've been craving chocolate like crazy. I guess it started on day 6. It seems like once I eat some chocolate my mind calms down a bit. It almost has a therapeutic effect. Normally I'm not a huge fan of it.

Now I'm craving something deep fried. That could be normal hunger.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never had a thing for sweets, although I've read on here that many people do. I craved the fatty foods. And the deep fried!! Fast food, pizza, meatball subs, etc lol. I actually used food as a bargaining chip to come off my 3 day bender/relapse I had in June. I told myself I could eat whatever I wanted for the next few days as long as I didn't drink. I weened off of that and started a healthier diet. Meal planning helps, as well as exercise, in my experience anyway.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anything with sugar for me at the minute. I imagine when you drink 20 cans of beer there must be a sugar mountain in that.....body must get some sort of withdrawal.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sugar cravings were really bad for the first several months. It's normal. Fruits are not exactly chocolate, lol, but a nice big apple or some fresh berries will take the edge off the sweet tooth and fill you up!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
skg

Solid foods were a novelty for a long while...
Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Deep fried mars bar

Its a scottish invention/abomination

i have never eaten it im scottish but it combines both things you want

those who like it swear by it you can google
Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haggis and deep fried mars bars.......2 of Scotland's greatest exports......and Susan Boyle......at least we all decided to stay together on the 18th.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've heard of deep fried Snickers. That doesn't sound the best. In the US they'll deep fry pretty much anything at fairs. Even butter.

I figured sugar had something to do with the chocolate cravings. I ran out of chocolate last night and tried a couple peanut butter cookies. They didn't have the same effect.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot PolarBlue, you just made me go to my car to get some chocolate. ;-)
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just googled and there are articles on this. Here's one:

Chocolate And Alcoholism – Living the Scientific Life (Scientist, Interrupted)

Maybe it's not that unusual after all. Last night whenever I'd get a craving - it was a rough night - I'd go to the fridge and get a bite of Kit Kat. For me anyway it had a soothing effect.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

considering my booze of choice was wine, one would think I would have had major cravings for sugar but I didn't.
I have always been pretty healthy with my food choices when sober so when I quit drinking I went through the odd phase of I want "grease" or "chocolate"...but nothing too crazy. I was fully expecting to be eating vats of ice-cream or stuff but it never happened.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Deep fried mars bar

Its a scottish invention/abomination

i have never eaten it im scottish but it combines both things you want

those who like it swear by it you can google
HA! You should visit the Deep South of US, if it can't be deep fried its a rock!

I replaced my daily stop at the pub with new found delight I haven't had since childhood. In those day 7-11 called them slurpies - today, simply a frozen icee deal comes in all flavors. Now I stop daily on the way home for one at the convenience store~
Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Everytime I try quitting, sweet tooth kicks in. I bought chocolates with high cacao % and individual sized. I work near a Ghirardelli outlet shop. Also herbal fruity teas help me.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

At about the 3/4 mark in distance, being so depleted of body fat by hiking 4 months, appalachian trail hikers are known to stop at a town and eat sticks of butter. You do what the body demands, regulated by what the mind decides.

Chocolate is a drug. It stimulates the same response in neurochemistry that alcohol, caffeine, and...love stimulate.

Eat your chocolate. Walk a little more. Be happy.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I told myself that I could eat whatever I craved for the first 90 days of sobriety. Probably saying yes to home-baked zucchini bread at work more than I used to, but surprisingly not really desiring junky food.

I'm eating a lot of salads, taking a multivitamin & b vit, and drinking an unimaginable amount of liquids (water, coffee, tea).

I'm definitely eating MORE than I did drinking. I had hoped for some miracle weight-loss (that much beer & wine added untold calories!), but 40 days in I'm holding at just a couple pounds less than when I started.

I did go through a week where I wanted cheerios with sliced banana & almond milk for dinner every night & that's what I ate. Saying YES! to my inner child as often as possible..
Old 09-24-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah I'd eat four candy bars a night in early days, wash it down with some 1/2 and 1/2 or chocolate milk... That's livin!
-Ted
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I ate tons of candy every day. Favorites were Kit Kat, York peppermint patties, red vines, nestle crunch.

There were times when a candy bar literally saved me from going crazy!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Chocolate, I could not get enough of it and I still need a small fix everyday. Ice cream too. I ate Klondike bars two at a time and made Klondike Sundaes. I had not eaten ice cream in years but after I quit I wanted it all the time.

I also pigged out on some junk food for a while. I just went with it. It calms down after a while. I figured better a bag of Cheetoes and a bowl of ice cream then a 1/2 gallon of whiskey!

Eating the junk actually brought to my attention the fact that if I have a whole bag, I will eat a whole bag. I have no off button with junk either. I had to start packing snack bags for lunch rather than take a full bag to work with the idea that I would just eat a little each day. Once the bag was open, it was on!
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In the beginning sugar, carbs and lots of them!!! A year down the line and I've noticed that I drink a lot of tea....didn't before I stopped the booze! Has anyone else found this? Maybe it's an English thing!?!
Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, sugar and bread cravings! And lots of cups of tea but that's probably as I don't drink fizzy drinks or juice so doesn't leave much else other than water