Notices

Holding a Cup of Tea

Old 09-16-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holding a Cup of Tea

When I first started working at my place, I would quite easily make everyone a cup of Tea and deliver them to the desk of my colleagues. However over the years with my increasing drinking I found that my hands started to shake more and more. In particular my nerves would further exaggerate the movement in my hands. My normal body response when nervous is to dumb a load of adrenalin into my body which always resulted in unsteady hands. Anyway a long story short, as my drinking increased I found that I was no longer able to make tea and I was to scared that others would start to notice the shake in my hands. Towards the end, I just stopped drinking tea or coffee at work so that I wouldn't need to make it for anyone else as a return favour.

At home when making my wife a cup of tea I would always make sure she wasn't watching me when I bought in the cup, so she wouldn't notice my hands shaking. i believe the exaggeration in hand shakes was also down to the fact that I had hot tea in my hands that could burn me, I guess it's an indirect impact of my anxiety causing all this.

I'm glad to say that the shakes are steadily getting better and in fact they no longer shake at home, however the real test will be when I make a cup for all my colleagues in the office. These are small things but mean a lot to me, as the embarrassment of my shakes which was a direct relation to the Alcohol was holding me back in many ways.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi MiniBK,

Me too Mine is pepermint
Glad to hear your shakes are reducing
Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

good glad to hear its calming down
Old 09-16-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your post reminded me of a picture from a very early article about AA from the Saturday Evening Post magazine (1941). It shows the method one man used to steady his hands enough to take a drink (by using a towel) without spilling most of it .

There's no shame in serving your co workers, even with a few nervous shakes.

It shows your heart's in the right place.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The small things are fantastic!! Great post!!