Notices

Story Time :)

Old 09-12-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Story Time :)

Hearing a little bit About people's stories seems to help me, and given that it's the internet our capacity to represent so many different walks of life is huge. We make up a pretty sweet collage. With that, and only if you're comfortable doing so of course, why not share a little about yourself? Almost like an AA meeting; Where you were, where you are now and where you're going? When did you start drinking? How did you bottom? How long have you been sober? What keeps you sober? Are you sober? What do you think about life and all that jazz from where you're standing?

I'll start. And if I can think of more, or switch from using my phone to the computer soon I'll post it farther in.

I'm 24, which makes me feel like i might be the youngest person here, and I started drinking in high school. I just wanted to be popular and I saw all the cool kids partying. That made the choice simple. I was a sucker, and soon I was an addict. I drank moderately for a few years, all the while trying to hold what I knew was a growing problem at bay, and slowly progressed to alcoholism. I bottomed out (so far) one night and I don't know if there's a typical way of doing so or not, but I partied so hard and got so drunk that I literally just woke up in my bed, which was now covered in blood, With puke in random Places and very little recollection of how I got there or why I was bleeding. That was a week ago today. Now I'm fighting for my sobriety back and have started posting on here. thanks for listening.

PS, I also smoke weed, and the occasional cigarette. I would like to quit both of those as well but I feel like tackling one issue at a time might be appropriate. I also think I might be addicted to video games.

God bless y'all! Have a healthy weekend.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up weed and alcohol at the same time.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Go ahead and quit everything at on time. It's actually easier.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

addicted to video games huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglOsfErtaE

I showed that to my son you could see the pain in his eye i was like yeah and you dont have a gaming problem? It is comical tho.

Hang in there and get sober. I dunno that I would quit everything at once. Although I'm not gonna say your doing yourself any kind of justice clinging to weed. You could be trading one substance fro another or in a non sober state from weed agree to a drink becuase your judgement is now off from the weed.

I quit weed years ago It did nothing for me anymore so it was easy to let go. At that point I doubled down on my booze carreer and took it more seriously in an effort to keep myself numb. Did that for years.

When i sobered up 6 months later or so I quit smoking not so much because of the cigarettes per say but I still didnt feel so great in many ways and I figured why not put that down. then I thought why not eat healthier why not exercise. I wasnt looking to get thin I wasnt looking to quit smoking I was simply looking to feel better. I felt awful mentally physically I new i needed to make changes.

I dunno thats the order i handled things it worked for me. I'd say smoke a cigarette if you must but something like weed where it alters your mental state etc.. I dunno be careful you might just be trading problems for problems only to trade them back again
Old 09-13-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best of luck.
If weed is a problem, you'll know soon enough, but you're right to worry about one thing at a time.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's what I'm worried about. Since my weed smoking has picked up I'm terrified that I might drink again and just end up with two bad habits. :/

Lucky for me I want a drink like I want a new hole in the head.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, today is the longest I've gone without a drink in 4 years. I'm ready to celebrate.

8 days today.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

well done on 8 days im 4 hours 5 minutes away from 14 months sober

so happy for us both yay us yay everyone !!!!
Old 09-13-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyNothing
Hearing a little bit About people's stories seems to help me, and given that it's the internet our capacity to represent so many different walks of life is huge. We make up a pretty sweet collage. With that, and only if you're comfortable doing so of course, why not share a little about yourself? Almost like an AA meeting; Where you were, where you are now and where you're going? When did you start drinking? How did you bottom? How long have you been sober? What keeps you sober? Are you sober? What do you think about life and all that jazz from where you're standing?

I'll start. And if I can think of more, or switch from using my phone to the computer soon I'll post it farther in.

I'm 24, which makes me feel like i might be the youngest person here, and I started drinking in high school. I just wanted to be popular and I saw all the cool kids partying. That made the choice simple. I was a sucker, and soon I was an addict. I drank moderately for a few years, all the while trying to hold what I knew was a growing problem at bay, and slowly progressed to alcoholism. I bottomed out (so far) one night and I don't know if there's a typical way of doing so or not, but I partied so hard and got so drunk that I literally just woke up in my bed, which was now covered in blood, With puke in random Places and very little recollection of how I got there or why I was bleeding. That was a week ago today. Now I'm fighting for my sobriety back and have started posting on here. thanks for listening.

PS, I also smoke weed, and the occasional cigarette. I would like to quit both of those as well but I feel like tackling one issue at a time might be appropriate. I also think I might be addicted to video games.

God bless y'all! Have a healthy weekend.
I'm 26 myself, on day 208 sober currently.

I haven't done any AA meetings or anything like that myself, i just decided to stop drinking..... pretty simple.

Just one more thing, if you are thinking about quitting please see or consult with someone first....... it's a bad idea to quit cold turkey on your own.

Other than that, welcome aboard!
Old 09-14-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
well done on 8 days im 4 hours 5 minutes away from 14 months sober

so happy for us both yay us yay everyone !!!!
I didn't even see this earlier that's awesome. Congrats soberwolf. That's something to be proud of. Really proud of.

14 months from now I hope to be able to say the same.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

. I'm 26 myself, on day 208 sober currently.

I haven't done any AA meetings or anything like that myself, i just decided to stop drinking..... pretty simple.
Congrats man!

Yea haven't done any meetings either. Did the same as you. The hangover/wd made the choice pretty simple. Probably would've been a lot more comfortable if I had just gone to the doc though.