Notices

syndrome vs. disease

Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

syndrome vs. disease

I think the disease model for alcoholism is close enough for me to accept, it's got a lot of strong parallels, but it's not perfect.

Why is alcoholism not technically a syndrome?

I am not trying to start a debate about the labeling of alcoholism a 'disease', I am trying to understand why the term 'syndrome' is not used.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't search on my tablet.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here you go:

http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...e-and-disease/
Old 09-11-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

it might be the only syndrome that is fatal if not treated
Old 09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blue,
if alcohol or alcoholism is a disease, which i had. i am cured cause i stopped drinking alcohol.

now if i can only find a way to cure my asthma.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I believe the latest term is alcohol use disorder. This is a disorder that affects a huge number of people in varying degrees, from mild to severe. The vast majority are in the mild to moderate range and will sort things out without too many problem. A smal group of severe alcohol use disorder sufferes will find it very difficult.

I think this latest definition is very useful and easy to understand.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't like debating what it is and honestly it doesn't matter to me if it's a disease or not. It ruined most of my life. We can call it whatever we want as long as we remember how evil and destructive alcohol has been to us.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My understanding is the word disease, to understand it as it was first intended and used to describe alcoholism back in the 1930's, is to break it down into its two syllables.

Dis - in front of another word often (but not always) means opposite or reversed

Cover vs Discover
Mount vs Dismount
Enchanted vs Disenchanted

95% of drinkers are at ease around alcohol, it causes them no great stress, it's there but it doesn't dominate their life.

Others have a Disease around alcohol, it does cause them stress by dominating their lives.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always thought of myself as having a mental disorder, craving something that only brought sadness and pain in the end. Also, continuing to drink after told not to by the doctor. I think it's a mental difference/disorder for me. Thank god I don't suffer from it with abstinence. Only treatment is abstinence.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

disease? disorder? syndrome? Who knows?

This is the most meaningless debate ever to those that suffer from it. I will leave that academic pursuit to healthcare professionals, while I do what I have to do to stay sober.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No matter what you call it, I cannot control my drinking, and thus sobriery is the cure. Arguing the semantics of it won't change that fact.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a problem with carrots. I cannot eat just one. I will sit all day and do nothing but eat carrots. Carrots control my life. When I'm close to running out of carrots all I can think of is getting more carrots.
Are carrots a disease or a syndrome?
Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Blue,

Thanks for the good question. There's a still a good deal of debate on this, but the "disease model" seems to work for a lot of professionals in the treatment field. I side with those who believe there is a genetic predisposition to alcoholism. Of course there is certainly a behavioral element to it because excessive alcohol consumption changes the physical properties of our brains (thus affecting our thinking, mood, actions etc.) and there is also a psychological element rolled into it...

I suppose the community not being able to agree on a strict definition could raise the question of why it's not thought of as a syndrome. But most agree now (as someone stated earlier in the thread) that we refer to alcoholics and addicts as "persons with a substance use disorder." This keeps things positive and keeps the focus on the fact that we are people first who have a disease - we aren't "bad" we're "sick" and there are many people who are in recovery.

As society continues to de-stigmatize addiction we will continue to open new pathways to knowledge and treatment and hopefully more people will seek sobriety out before irreversible consequences of the disease ruin their lives.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I prefer "disorder" but that's just me. Doesn't change a thing about how we react to pouring the liquid down our throats.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

After a Wiki definition of addiction which makes a lot of sense I still can't put a name to it except a malfunctioning reward center. I definitely wouldn't label myself as diseased. My self-esteem is low enough as it is (working on that.)
Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey I didn't see these replies, thanks all!

I agree with the idea that it doesn't really matter what the word is. I guess I was just thinking about how so many people, both in recovery and out, refuse to accept the disease model. That is what led me to post this question.

Edit - I think words are important. It may not matter to each of us individually what the word is, but in the bigger picture it can matter. And I get the dislike of the debate, it's tiring. I was just thinking aloud of how to bring everyone together.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluehour View Post
I think the disease model for alcoholism is close enough for me to accept, it's got a lot of strong parallels, but it's not perfect.

Why is alcoholism not technically a syndrome?

I am not trying to start a debate about the labeling of alcoholism a 'disease', I am trying to understand why the term 'syndrome' is not used.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't search on my tablet.
Polish a turd, it's still a turd. Call it whatever you want. I've got it. Discussing this is like trying to push a rope. Don't go nowhere!!!