Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Being a "functioning" drunk in todays disfunctioning society

Notices

Being a "functioning" drunk in todays disfunctioning society

Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A good friend of mine blamed dysfunctional society for his drinking yesterday. I didn't say anything to him (why bother?) but 30 years was enough of that for me. With the perspective of sobriety I've come to believe that "functional" is a relative comparative measure that, as such, is not really useful to an alcoholic or addict. Just because I can drag my sorry hungover ass out of bed and go to work every day doesn't mean that I'm not wasting valuable time and energy. I could be curing cancer or be a better parent. I could enjoy a better life without pretending not to have a hangover. Being proud of not crapping myself was no way to live!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I did same for about 25 years. However I was honest enough with myself to realize I was a Drunk first, and foremost. Very little came in between me and drinking. Was able to hold down my job and retire. However showed up still pretty much impaired a lot.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
Being proud of not crapping myself was no way to live!
That is so funny because it's so true.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What I used to think was functioning as an active drunk, I have come to learn was not even close to functioning.

Jim Carrey thought he was living a real life in The Truman Show. Was he? That's how I view people now who describe themselves as "functional drunks" or "functional alcoholics." They do not know what functioning is. They used to know before they drank, but have long since forgotten after alcohol enslaved them.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by alumni View Post
I am a new poster on this discussion forum and not familiar with the various personalities here.
But this reminds me of a guy walking into an AA meeting with a fifth of scotch and just wanting to sit and chat a while.
Nothing wrong with that. In my experience someone who is drinking is still capable of taking in the message. I am happy to sit with a drunk who wants to chat though I might take him to a different room so as not to disrupt the meeting. Who knows? Maybe he will come back and give it a try.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Never forget where we came from eh?
Nice one GL :-D
Old 09-12-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Tnank you everybody I was looking for a friend and I got it here on SR.God Bless us all.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

ThNks guys and gals.......im work in on it
Old 09-13-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

We make up society.
I don't care for most of what happens in the world but I'm doing ok at carving out a slice of it in which I'm pretty happy.

If booze is bringing you to a recovery website and making you feel like a loser, it's not working for you, my friend.
If you spent money on any other product that made you unhappy, you'd return it or at least never buy it again.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Nocturnal, I spent 2 months on these forums last summer reading posts while drunk.
I was astounded as each day another group of people declared it was Day 1 and they quit drinking. It was like sitting in the back of an airplane watching people putting on parachutes and jumping out of the plane. After 2 months of watching and lurking, I grabbed a few people's hands and jumped.
That was just over one year ago and our little group is still somewhat intact. We've formed a circle and we're all laughing as the air rushes by us at 150 mph.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, Nocturnal.

Probably for most of human history society has been dysfunctional for someone every single day, one way or another.

But we do what we can.

None of us can make the whole world behave or impose a utopia of our liking (thank goodness). Some of us even have trouble living rational and healthy lives ourselves, no matter what the rest of the world is up to.

But we can each do a little here and there to live according to our own best lights, focus on the positive and help it along, treat people as we think people should be treated, etc.

It's your choice how to deal with your relationship to alcohol, but please remember that a lot of people lose that power of choice and it's bad news after that.

Wishing you well,

K