Notices

Is it NOT possible for you to go to A.A?

Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it NOT possible for you to go to A.A?

I have the strong desire to and prolly should be in full blown treatment but I just cant be a part of anything like that for the same reason Im a Christian but can't be a part of any church its my belief that those kinds of institutions require a certain level of intimacy or giving of ones self , I just can't trust anybody enough to truly be a part of that I mean lets face it there are people that go to organized rehab and religious groups that when they aren't present in that group atmosphere are degenerates that cheat on their taxes or person they are with, physically or emotionally abuse other living beings, that are hateful to the extent of racism/bigotry, or are just so indoctrinated in todays society that they'll stand by and do nothing if they know a child is being physically/sexually abused,a animal is being abused, a elder person or just any living being is being abused and do nothing I believe that as able bodied adults its OUR RESPONSIBILITY to protect those that can't protect themselves I can't give a part of myself to these types of people I think that to get the full benefit from these types of institutions its necessary to have a intimate relationship with the rest of the group be they rehab or religious does anybody else feel this way? Or is this just another notch on my outcast resume thank you God Bless.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow
Not any AA that i have ever been to....
G
Old 09-07-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You could make that kind of argument for anything Nocturnal. I've seen people make that argument about this website.

Whether or not you go to AA is up to you, but I think you at least need to try it before you dismiss it for what you think it's like.

D
Old 09-07-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dee is like thors hammer mjölnir !
Old 09-07-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Biggest run on sentence I've seen in a while. I am not sure how any of that applies to AA. Even if AA is filled with people like you described (it isn't) you can still go.

I am sure you work, socialize with, and shop at the same stores with the people you are describing. That hasn't stopped you from doing these things has it?

If you want to make some succinct points on your reservations about attending AA I am sure a lot of us will relate and can share our experience.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow. I'm sorry but that seems pretty unfair. to make assumptions and judge people you've never met based on them belonging to AA or a religious organisation. Nobody in AA pretends to be perfect, quite the opposite. We actively root out imperfections and attempt to improve. We're honest with ourselves and others about them, or at least that's what we learn. This is more than can be said about your average person.

Nobody can be expected to practice the program with perfection but we try.

What does your Christian faith teach you about prejudice and being judgemental?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Nocturnal.

Be careful that you are not just finding excuses to isolate yourself.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are many rehab centers that are
available to us to help with addiction and
save our lives. I went to one here in
Baton Rouge back in 1990 and even
tho it wasn't a place I really wanted to
be at, it beame an experience I can
share upon because it was a learning
experience to teach me how not to
drink and kill myself.

I'm Catholic but rehab here had nothing
to do with religion. When I began my
recovery journey, I had to learn the how
and the why's I drank, then take some
important information and tools to
incorporate in my everyday life once
I returned home after my 28 day stay.

Recovery has strengthened me mentally,
physical, emotionally as well as spiritually.
All important in living a healthy, happy,
honest life for many years down the road.

Rehab was and is a blessing and gift
that I am grateful for because it placed
me on a path of recovery to learn to live
life without killing myself with poison.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

maybe your beliefs are a little out of whack?
maybe yer not opening your mind to see the good people that are there?
maybe you have yourself on a pedestal?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi.

A bit of what you say is all around us each day and is sometimes annoying if we let it be.

I/we needed to get honest with our self about our DRINKING not the morals of the world. I needed to print out and tape to the BR mirror “YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.” For my actions and reactions about my sobriety, not people, places and things.

Many years later I’m not looking up at the grass roots caused by alcoholism which causes a huge number to not be with us.

BE WELL
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Funny thing about alcoholics ( me ). Finding fault everywhere in others keeps us ( me ) drinking for many years. No one relishes hypocrisy for sure. I have discovered I was the worst of the worst hypocrites.

Also, I had defined myself as Christian. Frankly, I had defined myself many things that simply were not true.

What I discovered was my Actions and Behaviors did not mimic my Values and Beliefs.
I thought I knew God - well, I found I knew of God.

AA is more spiritual than any church I have ever been a part of. Religious, no but growing in the faith of a HP gets me through day by day. " We claim spiritual progress, not perfection."

Glad you are here, and I hope you find your Way Home!
Peace
Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you have any friends?
Old 09-07-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the insight everybody I have tried A.A. weren't my type of people same thing with church's and I do most of my shopping on Amazon the only shopping I do that involves interaction with the public is for perishable food like vegetables as a matter of fact just yesterday I went to the market for vegetables and one of the ladies there was saying all these terrible things about me and she doesn't even know me thats a little off subject sorry what I meant originally is the rehab and religious groups IVE been to are like this you are some very lucky people to be able to take support from just anybody good luck with that and God Bless You All
Old 09-07-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry but on a closing note that I forgot about the last A.A. meeting I went to these 2 pretty girls were sitting ther arguing with each other and seeing negativity in a supposed healthy atmosphere made me want to drink so thats what I did Ok thats all God Bless and thank you guys so much.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Be the change you want to see in the world, Nocturnal.

I had all kinds of crazy, delusional thoughts just like yours when I was actively using. People are not inherently evil. They are just flawed.

Maybe you could find a volunteer position that would help you get out of your head? I know for me, working at the animal shelter has been very therapeutic. Animals aren't judgmental or gossipy.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh yea I didn't mean to offend anybody prolly just venting as this is my 4th day after slipping.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

I lied, cheated, and stole from myself. I couldn't trust others because I didn't trust myself.

I can trust myself and others today.

Keep staying stopped; things can change.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
I have the strong desire to and prolly should be in full blown treatment but I just cant be a part of anything like that for the same reason Im a Christian but can't be a part of any church its my belief that those kinds of institutions require a certain level of intimacy or giving of ones self , I just can't trust anybody enough to truly be a part of that I mean lets face it there are people that go to organized rehab and religious groups that when they aren't present in that group atmosphere are degenerates that cheat on their taxes or person they are with, physically or emotionally abuse other living beings, that are hateful to the extent of racism/bigotry, or are just so indoctrinated in todays society that they'll stand by and do nothing if they know a child is being physically/sexually abused,a animal is being abused, a elder person or just any living being is being abused and do nothing I believe that as able bodied adults its OUR RESPONSIBILITY to protect those that can't protect themselves I can't give a part of myself to these types of people I think that to get the full benefit from these types of institutions its necessary to have a intimate relationship with the rest of the group be they rehab or religious does anybody else feel this way? Or is this just another notch on my outcast resume thank you God Bless.
Years ago I felt the same way you've described here. A bunch of hypocrites. That's all they are, and then I'd go out for a few drinks and end up doing worse than probably most of those people ever thought of doing. Since I've been in AA, I believe one of my worst prejudices has been removed and that's in regard to my beliefs about religion and the people who participate. I've returned to organized religion. I was raised Methodist but have become Catholic and I've never been so happy an fulfilled as I am today. Sure, we're all human but I believe in God and I believe He is a loving God and forgives. Is it so terrible to forgive human beings for being human and doing what human beings tend to do? The commandment says, "Love your neighbor as yourself." To me this means I have to love me before I'm able to love others, and similarly, I have to forgive myself before I'm able to forgive others. Learning to forgive myself for things done in the past, is a huge stepping stone to becoming sober and remaining sober.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
Oh yea I didn't mean to offend anybody prolly just venting as this is my 4th day after slipping.
The important thing is what keeps you Sober!!

Changing the world and having a responsibility for moral change, which is great, doesn't matter a whole lot if you're still struggling with alcohol!!

You have a responsibility to yourself first, fixing the rest of the world can wait!!

The important question then is what are you going to do moving forward if other methods are off the table, alcohol doesn't discriminate or care for the hurdles that we create for ourselves sometimes!!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The saying “KEEP COMING” helps me a lot even after a lot of sober years. It helped me hear what I needed to when I was very foggy brained.
It does work IF we work it!

BE WELL