Notices

Please! Desperate for Recovery

Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please! Desperate for Recovery

Please help. I am desperate for recovery and I need help, big time! Marriage, job, life falling apart! My children hate me! Please!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Magdi - plenty of support here

what have you tried in the past? anything?

D
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hay welcome. This is a great place to get support and make new friends.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a good place for support.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have tried AA, NA and 2.5 mo IOP. I need to do this for me this time!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Magdi. I hope you'll stay with us - you found a great place. Please don't despair - you can recover and have a whole new life.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Perhaps a little bit more would be helpful. When you say you have tried AA and NA what exactly did you try? Attend some meetings? Work the steps? Work some of the steps? IOP did you live in a sober house? Was it a 12 step sober house?

Are you sober now? Are you active? Sounds like you have had enough - but might be helpful if you can articulate this?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello magdi you can do this have you got a plan to stay sober ?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I mean I went to AA for awhile... 3 years but only made it to step 4 because I kept relapsing. Longest time I had sober was 8 months. Tried NA but didn't see much there that I liked and the place I went to was filthy. I keep screwing things up. I was not in a sober house through IOP and I drank prior on the days I knew they would t be testing. I did go through withdrawal aided by a few meds my md prescribed. I guess the jssue is I keep coming back to it and it's screwing up my life
Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Magdi - if you choose sobriety it's a gift with strings attached. I have been in your shoes ! I will say in 89 days sober ( yes short sobriety ) much has gotten better.

The reflection of my despair viewed in the eyes of my family has dissipated. It has been replaced by HOPE!

Many methods are available. Simply, for me I had to reach the point where my love of family and desire to stop coupled with willingness has gotten me to this point.

I do attend AA - tonight I attended my 97 meeting in 89 days. SR is huge for me as well!
Yea, it's work. I AM WORTH IT!!

I hope you'll find your path of willingness my friend. The fruits of sobriety are there to be had!!

Peace
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The steps are meant to be done in a timely fashion, otherwise its easy for us alcoholics to slip up. In 8 months, you could have easily have done all 12 steps with a sponsor, and had a greater chance of success for sobriety. Did you atleast buy a Big Book, or some other AA material, like Living Sober, Daily Reflections, Came to Believe, Grapevine is a great magazine of AA stories. Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results is INSANITY!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes I do have a big book... And I had 2 sponsors the latter who told me I was not ready to move past step 4
Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by Magdi View Post
Yes I do have a big book... And I had 2 sponsors the latter who told me I was not ready to move past step 4
It sounds like you had a sponsor that probably hadn't worked past step 4 themselves. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't be ready to move to the next step. Finding a sponsor who had worked the steps (all of them) and was willing to take me through (all of them) in a timely matter made all the difference in the world for my recovery.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I had a sponsor who kept me on steps 1, 2, and 3. I had been in and out of AA for 25 years before I could stay stopped....I recently heard that sponsor share at a meeting that it took her 5 years to work step 4 and beyond....she had about 2 years of sobriety when I worked with her....

I now have 3 years of sobriety because this time someone knew that I needed a new solution. That new solution is in working all of those steps....specifically steps 4-7....
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Loads of support here on SR!!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Step 4 just a list, do one column at a time. Step 5 is can be scary, talk to some random priest or whatever. Thing is if you burn your step 4 list, you have to do it again!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. Instead of drinking, you can hang out with us. We're all pretty cool.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have tried AA, NA and 2.5 mo IOP. I need to do this for me this time!
Magdi- You said the key words right there. The only way this works is if it is for your benefit. Not for your spouse or kids or job or.... For YOU. You are the only one who has to live with yourself every single day of your life.

Congratulations - it sounds as if you are ready!

For myself the 12 step programs were not the way to go. I did do 6 weeks in a residential dual diagnosis program that uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help you change your thinking and deals with both substance abuse and mental health.

I am four months sober tomorrow and read a lot online and attend an online group that is an offshoot of the same program.

This is not easy, but it is worth it. And YOU deserve to be healthy and happy.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Get a new sponsor, this is total BS.

Like matt4x4 said, the steps are designed to be taken quickly (not lightly, but quickly).

Here is what the big book says about step 3 and 4. Red items are my commentary:

Though our decision (step 3 decision) was vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed (this means "immediately") by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

Therefore, we started upon a personal inventory. This was Step Four.
If you get a sponsor and they hold you back at this point, have them read this and explain why you should be held back.

Better yet, find an AA Back to Basics meeting, where they take you through all 12 steps in 4 hours.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I didn't do steps or AA I got sober for myself and surprisingly that worked I was sick of myself my drinking and waking up feeling sick. Almost two years now sober but much longer on the forum reading and trying to quit I joined in 2011. I drank heavy for a good 15 years straight vodka for 10 of those years. I enjoy my kids my grandkids and my life now . If I had never picked up that first beer what a different mother I would have been. I think I would have over analyzed steps and I'm not a people person so I think AA would have hurt more then helped me.