Notices

Just Stopped Drinking. Sleep problems?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Stopped Drinking. Sleep problems?

This is my second day of not drinking and I have noticed its been a pattern for me in that past that is reoccurring. I have extreme issues falling and staying asleep. I woke up at midnight today and have been up since. I'm low on energy but try to get what I can done around the house (I am not currently working). I find that my mind runs frantically when my head hits the pillow and im lucky to get even a couple hours. a few times the addict in me has used it as a poor excuse to go back drinking.

I was just wondering if there were others that are/have experienced the same problem and is there anything in particular that works for you?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insomnia and wacky dreams are very common in early sobriety.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Honestly? Time

I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but there's really no shortcut.

I tried drugging myself up with sleepy-time cough syrup and cold medicine & stuff before, but all it did was make me more of an exhausted wreck. It wasn't enough to put my body to sleep.

This is gonna sound dumb... but one thing that's really helped me, is when I lay my head down on the pillow... rather than freaking out and having anxiety about how "i'm not going to sleep & I'm going to be so tired tomorrow OMG just sleep stop thinking sleep crap what time is it?? omg it's already 1 a.m. and i haven't slept (on and on and on...."

I mentally accept that I'm probably not going to sleep. Rather than trying to sleep & stressing over how I can't, I prepare for a night of reading, snuggling up (awake) under the covers, maybe watch some TV, etc. etc.... make a chamomile tea. How often in our lives do we get to curl up under the covers for 12 hours and relax & just do these simple things?? Not often!

When I'm able to do that - mentally accept that I'm probably not going to sleep - and find acceptance around it - that's usually when I end up passing out, hard. Lol.

Try it - it's seriously worked for me when NOTHING else has!

Good luck! Stay strong!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was daily drinking for a long, long, time. I had a solid five days of night sweats and very little sleep upon quitting. After five days I started taking 5 mg of melatonin at dusk and I'd get a solid 6 hours of sleep. I'm at day twelve and my sleep is starting to normalize.

It gets better.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

This very normal it will balance out
Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I find that when I physically exhaust myself that it helps with insomnia and gives me fewer night terrors. I'll hit the gym and work out for x3 hours, chop a bunch of wood, take the pooch for huge run, etc.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ya, I've been sleeping a few hours per night and then waking up in the wee hours. I've been a zombie all week at work. Just got out of a meeting that I zoned my way through. Had to answer a question and probably made no sense at all.

I'm really tired right now and could probably conk out in a few minutes. But I'm in the office. I also have been sweating a lot more when doing "normal" exercise like walking to work.

This is really sucking.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies guys! Looks like time t is... ugh. Lol
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think its quite normal.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool

SAME here, you are not alone! I do not lie down until 1a.m. (that is the time my state stops selling)...try to nap off and on, luckily I am a stay at home recovering alkie...If not for naps, I would have drank by now...I am sure of that!!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i think it is normal, it was for me for about a month or so
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My brain wouldn't shut up that first week of sobriety. I was in Rehab, driving me nuts the first couple of nights. They kept us busy busy,so that did help. I was allowed to take a melatonin tablet before bed. Hang in there, very very soon you're body will readjust to the new normal.
Bobbi
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is not the answer but sleep has taken me back there too! I am a terrible sleeper and pray for relief until i finally give in. Im a bad example
Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Takes a few day to regain normal sleep patterns. Melatonin and chamomile tea really helped me. God i hated to try to sleep those first few days. The panicky dreams were the worst part for me.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Took me about 7-8 days for sleeping patterns to get more normalized. First 3 nights I averaged maybe 3 hours a night, if that. After a few weeks, my sleep was completely back to normal. I'm not a world champion sleeper in sobriety either tho, I still have the occasional night where I toss and turn for a few hours. But generally I get a good 6-8 hours of sleep a night, which is waaaaay more and waaaaay better than when I was consuming alcohol all the time.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the other comments - this is very normal. I never slept on Night 1 of not drinking.... It took several days for my sleep to become normal.

I drank chamomile tea, took baths with lavender salts, did some "body-scan" meditation when I got into bed...

Now, I am amazed at how quickly I fall asleep. I feel a zillion times better than when I was knocking out my nervous system with booze.

Hang in there!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It took years for us to get here, it's gonna take the body time to dig it's way out!!

Hang in there, it'll get better!!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I would make a hot camomile tea and take melatonin. Then lay down and wait for tea to cool down, sipping a bit at a time. By the time I finished my tea, the melatonin would have kicked in. I don't need the melatonin any more but I still make myself the tea. The routine soothes me and is something at this point I can rely on. No matter how tough the day was, just knowing I can count on that, that that routine is waiting for me, is something that helps take the edge off
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I went to my doctor and he prescribed a benzo. I don't know why people don't go to the doctor on this board, it makes withdrawal safe, and much easier.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by xJustBreathex View Post
This is my second day of not drinking and I have noticed its been a pattern for me in that past that is reoccurring. I have extreme issues falling and staying asleep. I woke up at midnight today and have been up since. I'm low on energy but try to get what I can done around the house (I am not currently working). I find that my mind runs frantically when my head hits the pillow and im lucky to get even a couple hours. a few times the addict in me has used it as a poor excuse to go back drinking.

I was just wondering if there were others that are/have experienced the same problem and is there anything in particular that works for you?
Yes this is normal Ive been sober two months what I do is watch tv till im tired and just fall asleep. Sounds horrible but I work at evenings till midnight. So it works for me. Trust me once you get good 8 hours of sleep youll feel great.