Notices

Day 1 - by myself...

Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 - by myself...

You can dig through my old posts to see that this attempt #8978789 at my Day 1, but this one is different.

Sitting at my desk Friday, I said to myself out of nowhere: I'm done.

I don't know why Friday was any different than any of the other million days that I said the same thing, but it WAS different.

I called my wife, told her I was heading to my family's lakehouse for the weekend, and split.

So here I am. Just got done watching the sunrise, and am beginning this journey.

For some reason, I'm nervous. I've been a daily drinker (during my bad times) for a few years. I've quit for upwards of 50 days before (back around Christmas), and never really experienced much in the way of withdrawals, but for the past two months, I've been on a 12-pack a day bender. That's not a lot more than my typical drinking (10/day), but being up here by myself has me nervous about withdrawals.

There are a few beers in the fridge. I have no intention of touching them, but what should I look out for? Vomiting? Shakes? I figure that if something sketchy hits me, I can slam a couple of the beers and try to get to sleep.

Any other advice?
I'm ready.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you ttugrad1793!
I don't have much experience with serious physical withdrawals but if you're worried, perhaps you should go to an emergency room and they can possibly give you Ativan or something like that to take with you and help you set your self up for success.
I know that drinking chamomile tea and decaf coffee for the first few days helped me as well as gentle long walks.
You can do this! I'm almost 30 days and feel so much better, truly...
Old 08-23-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

water, lots of it.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

drinking chamomile tea as we speak.
I don't know why I'm nervous about it - I've quit before without ANY real symptoms other than trouble sleeping, but for some reason, I feel very isolated.

I'm nowhere near a hospital. As this will be Day 1, I may just plan to stay up on the couch until I drift to sleep. If I feel bad or get the shakes, I slam a warm beer to keep them at bay. I don't know....again, I've never had any issues. I guess I just feel so crappy after the past two months of drinking so much.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If things get rough I'd recommend seeing a Dr!!

At some point we have to get off the merry go round of alcohol, quitting, then feeling awful with withdrawals, so picking up more alcohol to feel better, the cycle at some point needs to be broken!!

The first initial period of withdrawal can be rough, but drinking again is not the answer, the body needs to repair and adjust, more alcohol will simply prolong things!!

You can do this though, push through the initial period!!
Old 08-23-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i've got some alprazolam - it's generic xanax. Anybody have any experience taking this to help with sleep in the early days of detox??