Notices

I know I'm not the only one

Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I'm not the only one

Hi, I've been sober for 2 years and have horrible anxiety. I had numerous alcohol withdrawal related seizures and am still taking keppra 2 years later and working on seeing a neurologist to try to get off of it. Yesterday I had a horrible panic attack and was given .5 MG of ativan in the ER. I am terrified that this is going to cause a seizure because of the similar effects as alcohol. I do not want to take it ever again because I have spend the last 24 hours worrying about my sobriety and if anything will happen to me because of the ativan. Does anyone have a similar story? Any advice other than the obvious that I should not have taken it? It definatly didn't make me want to drink, exactly the opposite actually. It made me feel like I had just failed in recovery. The doctors said I should be fine but I feel like ever since I gave up drinking my anxiety has just gotten worse. I worry constantly about everything imagienable and know someone is out there that feels like or had dealt with something like this. just wanted any advice I can get on any of these issues. I posted this in a newcomers thread but realized maybe I should put it here for more answers. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take paxil and a small dose of clonazepam for anxiety. It works well for me. Know that a panic attack will not cause any physical harm. When I learned that fact, I started feeling better.

Ativan will NOT cause a seizure. It has a similar depressant effect as alcohol but you would only be in danger if you were taking large doses of it for a long time and suddenly stopped (just like with alcohol).
Old 08-17-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for replying! I didnt think it could cause it to happen but I do way too much research and know that a kindling effect can take place which but don't know too much about it...if that means I could now have seizures because of all the damage I did, or if one pill could cause me to have one. I know that the panic attack won't kill me but when I see my blood pressure SKY HIGH that makes me worry too! I just don't know what's worse! Panic attacks or medicine? I try to calm myself but sometimes it feels impossible!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been on Paxil since 2001, actually shortly after 9/11. I was having panic attacks, and limiting my 'universe' with each panic attack. You know, I had one at the movies....so I won't go to the movies anymore. At least that's how it worked for me. But, finally I gave in and accepted that there is help available; and I haven't been without my Paxil since (20mg per day). For me, no advice here folks, this is what works. But, I will say my blood pressure and general anxiety has gone down considerably these past 21 months. I wish you all the best my fellow SR.
. Bobbi
Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

avdj

I totally understand where your coming from. Panic and anxiety are so difficult to handle sometimes. When I was younger I had almost daily panic attacks in school. As I got older it seemed the easy way to handle those situations was substances, and now that I have been sober for 2 days the panic and anxiety is terrible. I'm sure it has a great deal to do with some other rl stuff but those two feelings have been something I've been grappling with. You are not alone and we can rise above this
Old 08-17-2014, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The kindling effect is nasty. I relapsed a little while ago, quit cold turkey, and experienced delirium tremens. I had the most bizarre hallucinations for a few days which culminated in me landing in the ER. The doctors said the hallucinations were benign, but the seizures could be dangerous. I could have avoided the whole thing if I (obviously hadn't relapsed) tapered off.

Have you ever thought your friend turned into a lamp? Oh the humanity...
Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. And congrats on your 2 days!!! My anxiety was definatly crazy the first few months but then definatly got better after a while. I am sure much of it is situational with me and I also hear you can get a little crazy around your sobriety dates so hopefully time and work will help this all pass for me. I also don't attend meetings so I think this forum will be good for me too. After this long I think I have come to realize I might not be as tough as I like to think I am and do need sober support and reminders.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For a long time I've drank to try to control anxiety as the "party-drinking" mode ended years ago. Whatever you do, be upfront with the medical professionals. Panic attacks are the worst. It's incidious how alcohol can temporarily help with anxiety and then come back and bite you in the ass x10 worse with paranoia & nightmares during the withdrawals. You're not alone here
Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Greencolor I see you know exactly what I mean! I had auditory hallucinations during one at home detox (which should never be done. Ever.) thinking I heard my neighbor being abused and called 911 for her. All in my head.....that really is terrifying on its own and the numerous siezures i had are no joke....hence the anxiety that I will EVER be in that situation again!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

My understanding is that kindling refers to the effect subsequent alcohol consumption can have on a former alcoholic. It has nothing to do with other types of substances, especially stuff prescribed to you by doctor for valid medical reasons. You followed your doctor's instructions by taking ativan at that time. I hope you continue to follow your doctor's instructions. Hang in!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have no experience with any drugs whatsoever - my anxiety dissipated greatly when I stopped using alcohol and welcomed back the physical fitness regime. I wonder if exercise might help? I trail run and ride a road bike or mountain bike for my daily grunt and I find that when I am doing those I think of NOTHING(quite common with such activities) and there is a fabulous positive rush of natural endorphins that increase mood and calm nerves naturally.

I hope you find some solutions!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

I started exercising this helped a lot. I still have my issues and if i dont exercise it gets worse again.

My panic and anxiety is different today years ago a substance that offered releif helped me but these days if i take a supplement that makes me feel even ever so funny i start to panic and freak out. That being said in my case I worry if i did get a med if it might have the opposite affect on me at this point.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hear you! While I know there's a very strong school of thought that some medications aren't meant to be prescribed for alcoholics, I finally started trusting my doctor and taking xanax for my panic attacks, on an as needed basis. I had so much anxiety about just taking the darn pills! While I'd had no problem in the past putting down a bottle of vodka a day, the medication terrified me. But without it, I was having frequent panic attacks. So I finally decided to just trust my doctors. Crazy idea, right? Now I'm learning better when to take the medication to prevent a full blown panic attack. For a while I was waiting too long, and letting the panic build - resulted in several ER visits - a place I never want to be again!! I guess moral of the story is that I finally put all of my trust in my doctor and it's working. So far, so good. Trust the docs.