Notices

Stomach problems, anyone?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stomach problems, anyone?

So, my stomach is a complete mess. I can only equate this to the many years of daily drinking under my belt. I won't go into too much gory details but basically I suffer from a lot of right side abdominal upset and just general food sensitivities and bowel problems. Did anyone else suffer from digestive problems due to their excessive drinking? After quitting is there anything you did to help it get better? I'm trying exercising and eating organic. I don't drink soda. I've cut out most processed foods. I'm worried I may have damaged myself for good looking for a ray of light at the end of this tunnel... Sigh.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Drinking definitely caused lots of gastrointestinal issues for me. Quitting helped immensely, but it took a while for my body to heal. You should definitely see a doctor if you have concerns though, it could be caused by a whole host of other things as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think mine was just due to alcohol.
But I doubt alcohol and painkillers on an empty stomach helped.
I'm 2 years without a drink but my GI problems are hideous.

I have been diagnosed with a large ulcer. The doctor said he had never seen one so large in a woman in her 30's who did not drink (anymore), smoke or eat too bad or be overweight.
The ulcer stopped me eating for a while. I lived on milkshake, gaviscon, mashed swede and carrot and mashed potato and soup when it hurt to eat.

That led to severe anaemia.
Made eating even harder as my mouth became sore and had multiple cuts.

Most of the time I have zero energy, I have episodes of non stop puking that last days and leave me needing IV fluids in hospital. Sometimes the sickness is so quick, I can be driving and have to pull over and be sick on the road. I have neuropathy in my hands and feet, so I often have pins and needle type feelings.

If you are experiencing problems now, I strongly suggest keeping away from booze and eat well and look after yourself. I had procedures that diagnosed my problems, but it might be worth asking for blood work doing as that can reveal if you are lacking in nutrients like folic acid or iron and it may point to internal bleeding too.

Have you looked into products that can protect your stomach - like probiotics? Might be worth a try. Also if your diet is mainly liquid (from too much booze and not enough food) you might find adding fibre everyday helps.

Wishing you the best xx
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
gluelicker.

I have a host of stomach problems from chronic drinking. I personally have pain in my right side especially after eating and it turned out to be my gallbladder. I have stones. I would say to get to a doctor. My pain has some relief by keeping my diet very low fat and low sodium. You never know how serious or not serious it is until you see a doctor though.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Get to a doctor. You could have other problems.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had two stomach ulcers and a lot of gas and bloating. I drink a smoothie every morning which is loaded with the good bacteria for my stomach. It keeps me regular. I am ten months sober and my worst symptoms are gone. I know my drinking and my overuse of ibuprofen is what messed me up, because in all other regards : diet, weight, exercise, prayer and meditation, I was doing the right things. Good luck!!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep.
Stomach was in bad shape for a long time.
Still bothers me on occasion.
I take daily medication for now as prescribed.
I think you should definitely see a doc.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Giving up the booze is a good start but one needs to be careful we don't replace the addiction with other bad habits such as poor diet. You might have other issues going on such as gluten intolerance, lactose or lactase deficiency. Or even other issues.

For me recovery started with giving up the alcohol and drugs but I have peeled back the many layers of unwellness to change my life. Only a Dr through bloodworm can properly diagnose the symptoms you write about - I suggest you try to see one. There is always the chance it could be something greater and catching things early is a great defense.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeap, I was having pains when I quit, it all cleared up thankfully after a few months of no alcohol!!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was sick with stomach problems and right side pain, I demanded a full liver panel and it came back Gilbert's syndrome. Doctor said not to worry it won't kill me. I would demand a liver panel.
Gilbert's Syndrome
Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

my stomach was always giving me problems, so I named it Igor.

Igor got much better within a few months of staying stopped and could even tolerate and enjoy spicy foods!

Today, Igor is happy and contented.