Notices

Day 1

Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So I'm on Day 4 now. Finally went to the doctors. It was a bit of a blur everything seemed to happen so fast. I told her I was drinking too much and was already getting help. I told her about all the organisations I had seen and the organisation I was seeing at the moment and she was familiar with them because they are standard places where GPs refer you to. I ordered a blood test and have to wait till early next week to have that done. The only thing I can't remember is if i miss-spoke and said I'm drinking X amount of units weekly or daily. If I was drinking that amount weekly it's not much of a problem and is around the government guidelines. However that amount daily is a major issue. She didn't seem shocked or ask any questions after i told her. She said lets wait for your blood tests to come back. I asked for something to help me with withdrawal and she prescribed me something short term for 7 days that will help me sleep.

I keep thinking I said weekly, my brain is so fogged. Would it have mattered? She can't do anything until my blood test results are back so it's a moot point anyway? I'm thinking I should just stop worrying and once the blood test is done and the results are back clarify what I said.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure doctors put more weight on the data from the tests rather than what someone tells them about their drinking, I always fabricated my drinking quantities before I got Sober and so doctors probably take an alcoholic's word with a pinch of salt!!

Doctor's deal with the facts of a situation, and that's probably the best way!!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on day 4 Captain

D
Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day 4 is wonderful CaptainW. I'm glad your doctor visit is over & hope everything turns out better than you think.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

you can do it one day at a time
Old 08-01-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm doing exactly that, one day at a time. Sometimes I drift off and start to worry about future problems and I have to snap myself back to the here and now. And then there's sod's law where life decides to throw problems at you just when you don't need them, and it really tests your resolve.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting to the doctor and Day 5
Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well Day 1 is now Day 16.

Finally got my blood results back. Some elevated liver enzyme levels. One of the tests the doctor said was a main indicator of alcohol liver damage failed so there was no level for that. She asked me about my current drinking and health. Ordered another blood test in 6 weeks to see if the levels come down. Told me about ultrasound but said not necessary yet until the second results come back.

Not sure what to make of this at the moment.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaptainWhip View Post
Not sure what to make of this at the moment.
I imagine that means she's being diligent to make sure you haven't suffered permanent liver damage that needs to be addressed, but didn't see anything that put her into a panic. Sounds like you've got a good doc.