Notices

Lost job

Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost job

Couldn't even go in due to withdrawl yesterday and that was it. Only 20 still live at home but the withdrawl and how much I drink it's like I've been drinking for 10+ years. Taken a tole on my body but I'm going to a treatment facility tomorrow. I just feel awful the stress I've put on my family and just not bein a good employee, regardless when I am sober I am a great worker it just comes at a bad time due to we have a family reunion in Oregon starting this week. I'm from Washington state but I feel like I need to get out of the culinary world. It's a pretty hard partying environment (at least from my experience) and I'm not only embarassed but it has just put me in a dark mood as well and I feel selfish because my family tries to help me but I just keep slipping. I heard counseling and what not really helps so I am gonna give it a go. I just need a new hobby and something to do when I'm bored that's not drinking all day, and literally all day too.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Bradtabs! You are so young, you can beat this and then you have your life ahead of you. You are taking the right steps. Yes, we all need to replace the "habit" of drinking alcohol with something else. That's the hard part.

I'm a little curious how you could have been drinking 10+ years when you are only 20? Did you grow up around it?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did drink for over ten years. 23 years all together. At the end it was drinking shooters of whiskey at 8 am, then beer all day.
I had a job that was a drinking culture too, and like you, I was a great worker when not drunk or hungover. But the things I missed-the opportunities and lost relationships and the horrors of the day after. I wasn't living, I was existing.
I tried to get sober for ten years only to slip and slip and slip. It took going to AA to save me.
That you're going for treatment is great. You're young you have your whole life in front of you.
And hard drinking like I did does take it's toll, on not just your body, your mind. So I had to change my thinking. Not drink just one day at a time. Those days added up and it's been three and half years sober.
Counseling is a good idea, so is AA it's free and has saved a lot of lives. This site is great, too. You'll find lots of support here.
I get it from posts like yours to remind me of what it's still like'out there'. It doesn't change, but I have. You can too.
My best to you. An best of luck in your treatment. There's a great big world full of all kinds of joys. I found them sober. You can too.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can turn this around, focus on Sobriety and move forward!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes with the treatment facility bradtabs - I hope you'll learn a lot
I had to make a lot of changes to my life to stay sober - but it was all worth it

D
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there bradtabs. Were here for ya! Just don't drink today.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hay Bro hang in there. take one day at a time, i had to do one hour at a time when i got stressed. glad you came here it is a great place, with good people with great advice.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bradtabs. I'm sorry you're so down, but glad you posted.

My husband's a chef & I worked in hospitality for years. I agree that it's a very challenging environment. Maybe it would be wise to consider something where there's less temptation.

I'm glad you're considering counseling. Being here will also help - we all understand what you're going through. Better days are ahead.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Bradtabs View Post
I just need a new hobby and something to do when I'm bored that's not drinking all day, and literally all day too.
Here's a great one for you:

http://aaspokane.org/wp-content/uplo...e-07-24-14.pdf
Old 07-29-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't had a drink since Sunday and have been super anxious ad shaky and smoking a lot of cigarettes (I know I need to quit but I'll stick to one vice at a time) I start an evaluation tomorrow morning. I'm still concerned about the whole job thing though. Really stressin and bumming me out.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Bradtabs View Post
I haven't had a drink since Sunday
Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rebump from Oct 2013