Notices

Thought Pattern

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought Pattern

Everything boils down to what you think. The choices you make in life are based on your expiriences and feelings.

When a person is at home, relaxing, not a drop of alcohol in their system, they think of what to do. Do they get up and go to the grocery store to buy food because they are out of food, or do you go to a fast food joint because its quicker and easier and in your diluted mind cheaper, or do they go work out at the gym, go to work because there are bills to pay, whatever it may be.

You also choose to take a drink. Not a soul on this earth puts a gun to your head and forces you to take that first drink, not a soul. Its all based in your head. This is not an "AA Thing" or a "SMART recovery thing" or a "AV thing" it covers a broad wide range of studies. Alcoholism is a widely misunderstood disease by the general public, laymen and even professionals, a disease which is recognized by the American Medical Association. I talked to a doctor once and he said that the amount of time they spent on this problem was a whopping 5 hours. One of the most deadliest diseases on the planet, 5 hours. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has killed, maimed, hurt more people then we think.

The first part of the body that will defeat yourself, is your brain, your thoughts. Other parts of the body can endure torture. We can go on journeys to the ends of the earth, the brain will give up long before the body.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
I talked to a doctor once and he said that the amount of time they spent on this problem was a whopping 5 hours.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup. One of my favorites on this subject is from a Craig Ferguson monologue. "I don't have a drinking problem, I have a thinking problem... But I can get a drinking problem real quick!"
Old 07-17-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It seeems like you are frustrated Matt. Are you having a tough time or frustrated that more don't subscribe to your thinking?

Sometimes when I preach it is because I don't believe what I am touting as my own. So to get others to reinforce these false beliefs is common. I am not saying yo uare doing this but might be something to look into.

I agree the medical community should spend more time on addiction and given the rising rates of addiction in North America, I am sure in time they will.

I am not sure how that would make a difference though. I know you subscribe to AA and AA's Solution is spiritual not medical.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In li'l ole NZ we have better news. The medical training used to include only 4 or 5 hours on drug addiction and alcoholism, mostly provided by NA, AA and OA speakers, but that has changed.

We are told now that we have an entire new generation of doctors trained to recognise and deal with the various levels of alcohol use disorder as per DSM 5.This is a very positive development. Research has shown that 20 % of our population has a diagnosable alcohol use disorder at any given time. The model has a very long tail which means that the majority are mild to moderate cases. There are many in phases of life "youthful high spirits" which they will pass through, there are many in hard drinking environments which they will move on from, there are some with issues like grief which will heal with time, there are those who drink to dangerous levels over a longer period but will stop with medical advice, counselling, etc, and the doctors are now trained to spot these and recommend treatment options.

There remains a much smaller group of severe alcohol use disorder sufferers for whom the foregoing options still prove ineffective. For this group, the doctors are told, "AA is a fantastic organisation"

Note: Paraphrasing a recent interview with the head of our national addiction centre and proffessor of psychiatry at Otago Medical School broadcast on National Radio.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
You also choose to take a drink. Not a soul on this earth puts a gun to your head and forces you to take that first drink, not a soul. Its all based in your head.
Alcoholism long ago made those choices for me. I chose to quit. Do you seriously believe alcoholics choose to drink? If you do, then alcoholics must be no different in your mind than anybody who chooses to drink. How do you define alcoholism?

Alcoholism is not just another game we choose play in our heads for that matter either, imo. An illness of mind, body, and spirit if nothing else.