Notices

Topamax?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Topamax?

Hi everyone,

I'm prescribed Topamax for migraines --just started a couple weeks ago. It seems to be helping. But I was reading up on side effects, and interestingly, there are some preliminary studies saying it helps with alcoholism and alcohol cravings. It blocks the dopamine rush that makes alcohol so enticing, supposedly.

I *think* it might be helping my alcohol cravings, but I'm not sure. Who knows, it might be the placebo effect. Do I care? Not really. Whatever keeps me clean and sober What a great side effect!

But seriously, I'm curious about whether anyone has experience with this med?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My wife had Topamax for migraines for a while, but as she's not an alcoholic I can't really comment on its applicability to recovery helpfully - sorry.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's not officially sanctioned by the FDA for that purpose, but some studies have found that it helps with those who suffer from alcohol dependence. Be careful never to drink while taking it, since doing so can cause seizures and other unwanted consequences.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Endgame your info is truly always priceless!

If you ever look out in the waiting room and see a 30 something woman dressed as Wonder Woman as your new patient that's me!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

I was given it once for restless legs it did nothing for that. I also had no issue drinking like a fish at the time too. So i'd say in my case it did not deter my cravings.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
Endgame your info is truly always priceless!

If you ever look out in the waiting room and see a 30 something woman dressed as Wonder Woman as your new patient that's me!
Like you'd be the first one.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been on top a max 100mg formulary brand for 7 years now. It has not stopped my migraines, just the pain after. I still struggle with cravings and alcohol. I wish it worked.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I took Topamax for migraines for about 18 months, and I very rarely thought about alcohol during that time. It did give me relief from the headaches, and it killed my appetite, so I lost a fair amount of weight. The few times I found myself at a party and drank while I was on Topamax, I experienced parasthesia in my hands, feet and across my face. It only took one drink for the prickly, tingly feeling to come on, and it was miserable!

Just for future reference, if you ever decide to try a different med for your migraines, don't stop taking Topamax cold turkey. It requires a taper and quitting cold turkey can lead to seizures, even in folks who have no history of seizures.