Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm a pretty bad case but not sure where I rank on here though....

Notices

Old 07-09-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all,

I am an african american male, 48 yrs old, 5'11", 300 lbs., have high blood pressure which I take 3 meds for, and have been an alcoholic for the past 5 years. Drink of choice, Vodka. Amount consumed daily, 1 pint. In addition, I am a food addict. I love food and I hate controlling my intake of it. Average daily calorie consumption 3,500 to 5,000 calories.
I have become a disgusting version of what I used to be. When I go see my doctor, the nurses frown when they see me and whisper among each other because they know I'm in really bad health. My doctor has warned me on several occasions that if I keep drinking at the same rate, I probably won't live to be a senior. When I walk into stores, people look at my face, then
immediately focus in on the size of my stomach. The craziest part of all this is that this has all rained down upon me within the past 9 years. 9 years ago, I was a long distance runner with nike's running club. 5 miles a day for 5 days a week, then once a month, the entire group would enter a 10k. I weighed 180 lbs back then. I was built like a football quarterback. Then, an event happened with a girl that I was in love with that forever changed me. I began drinking more and more. Not everyday, only a few times a week. Then it slowly progressed to 5 years ago and has been the same ever since. The same happened with food. I left the nike running club, stopped counting calories and began eating all of what I wanted. And here I am now,
occasionally suffering from gout from the excessive drinking, my sweat has a sweet odor to it due to a condition called Ketoacidosis, my urine is a light brown color, my kidneys and liver are decreasing in function, my feet are always swollen, I sweat constantly, to the point where people think I have a fever, and I'm now a type 2 diabetic. My doctor tells me that losing 80 lbs and stopping the liquor altogether would completely reverse all conditions and I could be off all meds, but if I continue going down this path, I'll be a dead man before all the hair on my head is gray. I need help.........
Old 07-09-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the group! You will find alot of support here. Not sure where you rank, but many of us (I would dare say the majority of us) have or had health problems related to not taking care of ourselves /or drinking. It sounds like you may have an unresolved issue that it could be necessary to confront at some point. I personally drank myself into oblivion over girls many times in the past. The good news is that it can get better. It starts with staying away from that first drink. I hope you will continue to post and share here. These boards are a great tool to maintain sobriety.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you are in this place. Addiction is a terrible thing and many with alcohol problems have other addictions or habits they'd struggle to control, including eating. Also, alcohol reduces our inhibitions and slows our metabolisms, so drinking makes it terribly hard to address our other issues.

Try not to focus on everything all at once. Start with the alcohol. Have you looked up AA meetings in your area? Keep posting here. It is a difficult thing we struggle with, but amazing things are possible, I believe.

I speak from personal experience that the alcoholism must be addressed first. I actually had weight loss surgery, but afterward my drinking spiraled horribly out of control. As a result, I only lost a fraction of what I should have lost due to the liquid calories. If I can get the alcoholism under controls, I can address the weight issues.

You are in my thoughts, and prayers as well if that won't offend you.

Read around here and make some connections. There are many great people with a lot of advice and experience.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

You CAN turn this all around....stick around, we can help you!

Love and hugs,
~SB
Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome LF,

Congratulations for posting and showing up - that's a great first step and I know it's challenging to get all of that information out on the table. Rest assured that if you read around this forum, you'll find many people who were in the exact same position as you - and many who are currently in the same boat.

I am 39, male, and was also a heavy vodka drinker, daily. I know what it's like to gain weight, sweat like crazy on the morning train, etc. In my case, it got to the point where I was having seizures - trust me, you don't want to keep this up and go down that route. It was really hard to quit, and without support I had no chance.

The people here can really help you out. As you can see, you've already gotten some good support and suggestions and I'm sure many will follow. Just know that you can keep coming back here, and keep reading and posting. We understand and are here to help you get through this. In my opinion, I believe you will live to senior status and beyond if you can put down the drink. All the best and welcome.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome, you can do this! I agree with Taurus, stop the vodka first and then focus on the weight.. Your appetite met decrease as a result too.

This is a great place to be and has lots of support. Get a recovery plan together and keep posting.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum! Reading this forum has helped so many, and I'm sure it can help you too. You will find inspiration, information, and much support here. Hope you do decide to hang around
Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good news, liquorfiend:
we don't have a ranking system here
and more good news: your doc said all the medical issues are reversible! how lucky you are! how great you're here NOW, wanting change, and that change is possible!

welcome, lf, stick around, keep talking....
Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here LF - This site & everyone here has been a huge support to me. Be kind to yourself...you deserve it!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome LiquorFiend! You're among friends who care. I hope your anxiety will lessen the more you post.

I was in a similar place when I found SR. I was drinking every day too - never imagined I'd be able to let go of it. Being here I found the courage - it was such a relief to not feel alone anymore. Thankfully, you're under a doctor's care and he is giving you hope that you can have your health (and life) back. There is much to look forward to. Glad you found us.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Liqour. Things may not look great now, but you're still young. If you lose some weight and put down the bottle you should have a nice, long life. It won't be easy, but as a former long distance runner, I'm sure you know how to push through pain.

I also have T2 Diabetes; although, my weight is just about normal for my age, size and height. So losing weight won't help my glucose levels much, but a better structured diet and exercise program can. So I'm with you on that journey. But first I had to stop the drinking, and I did. I suggest you start there.

So are you ready to make a plan to stop? Right now you may not see how bright life can be without alcohol and your favorite comfort foods, but it's there, and it's well worth the effort to get there.

But whatever you do, stick around this site. You will find a lot of support and help here.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome LF, good thing you are still quite young and reaching out. I know exactly where you rank. 1. As in 1 of us. There is no degree of being an addict in my book. You either are or you are not.
I'm glad you have a doctor giving you advice and looking out for you. Don't lose that.
There is no reason you can't be back to 5K's in a couple years. Get your self off the booze first. There are different methods to help you overcome it. Look into it and find out what appeals to you in order to help you stop drinking. Get that out of you system, and start walking at least. Don't stop seeing the doctor. We all had our own reasons that took us down that dark road of alcohol abuse. We ended up here for the same reason.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, new myself. I am (was 5 days ago) a very heavy vodka drinker close to a fifth a day. Had to switch from bourbon, because it was easier on my system. How sad is that. My body has done the same thing. Used to be a olympic weightlifter. Now short fat and weak. But myself like you can turn this around. 40s are the new 20s. Stay strong.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Welcome Liquorfiend. Just curious did you ease up or stop running at some point? My drinking started to get out of control once I couldn't run anymore. I have noticed other runners on this site. I dug up some research that running, alcohol and sugar all act on the brain the same way.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck to you!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are fighting for your life here man! Put down the drink and get your life back! Once you put down the drink I guarantee you will want to start eating healthier. Things will "magically" start turning themselves back around for you if you get and STAY sober. How does getting your weight back down to below 200 sound for your 50th birthday!? I know you can do it and you WILL do it if you really want to. You gotta want it though! Do you want it?? Good luck in your journey!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not gonna say a pint a day isn't a lot, but I've drank a lot more for a lot longer time and I'm still kicking, and the body has a weird way of repairing itself. If you taper off (it takes willpower, but it's possible) you'll be good to go in about two weeks or less. Alternatively, you could ask your doctor for a course of benzos and quit the alcohol altogether. Librium is usually the course of action for these things, but I've had Klonopin with good results.

If you don't go the second route, do not, under any circumstances, quit cold turkey. I don't know if you've ever had withdrawals before, but kindling is bad (makes subsequent withdrawals worse), and quitting cold turkey will do that to you should you ever choose/happen to drink again. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

As others have said, you can turn this around, the body can repair itself but you need to give it a chance.

You'll find loads of support here on SR!!
Old 07-10-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi LF.
As an athlete, you know all about working towards the line. It's great news that your issues are reversable.
This is the run of your life.
But unlike athletic running, you can get great help along the way. AA, therapy, whatever works for you. Some people who have religion find great strength there.
I have found great help and support here at SR. Stay in touch, my friend.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi LF and welcome;
I was also a vodka drinker and was very sick by the time I choose to stop.

You can beat this--I wanted to suggest you check out Paleo eating along with stopping the vodka, and perhaps begin a gentle exercise program.

I easily dropped 40 pounds doing this and did it in combination with quitting drinking and starting an exercise program.
The psychological benefits of losing weight really helped me keep away from the booze as my self-esteem increased and the exercise helped with the anxiety from quitting drinking.

Paleo eating also helps with the food cravings you are talking about. A
good website to find out more if you are interested is Mark's Daily Apple.

As others have said, stopping the vodka is most important and should be
your first step, but it doesn't hurt to be planning and learning about other things
that can help you get your life back.

I am so much healthier and happier since I quit drinking.
It is very much worth the effort and gets easier with time.
Please keep reading and posting and getting support