Notices

Going to Rehab questions

Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Going to Rehab questions

Hi everybody, I've decided I need to go into an inpatient rehab facility. My therapist is helping with getting it going and she said I'll be there in about 2 weeks. I have a lot of questions and don't see her again until Friday.

So, can you guys help me out with some questions I have? I'm curious about some things and also feeling anxious and a little scared. Here's what I'm wondering: Do you take your own clothes? Can you call or write to friends/family while there? Can I do my hair and make-up? Can I bring my own books/magazines to read during downtimes/bedtimes? I have more but this is good for now.

Can you guys help me out?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share Robin but I think it's a step forward
Wishing you the best

D
Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The only thing you really NEED is a good attitude! Be the model patient, and prepare to face up against others who don't plan on staying sober.

The facility should give info on exactly what you can bring. Cosmetics are definitely a no-no if they contain alcohol. Every place is a little different on what is allowed.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Most rehabs, as far as I know, are 28 days. Not sure what a 2 week rehab would be like. Never heard of one in fact.

There are different "rules" for different places. Quite certain they wouldn't have any problem with you bringing reading material. All the rest is up for grabs. Most allow you some communication with outsiders, but I'm pretty certain cellphones are a no go. When I was in rehab, we were allowed to use a community phone during certain hours in the evening. There was no internet when I was in rehab .

If you know the name of where you're going it might be helpful.

There are a lot of people here with more recent rehab experience than me, so you'll probably get lots of responses. Best of luck, anyhow.

EDIT: LOL, 2 responses as I was typing.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is this a detox or a rehab? Honestly, I'd recommend a 30 Day program. It will give you more time with a clearer head and you'll get a better grasps of the basics. If you can manage it, take the extra time. I was not allowed any reading material except spiritual books (Bible prayer books, daily mediation book)

Love from Lenina
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Hi Joe Nerv and Lenina, I think you misunderstood, because I think I didn't word it well. I am going to be there in about 2 weeks, but it is indeed a 28-day program. I have to wait 2 more weeks for things to get moving (insurance, paperwork, all that stuff....)

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I agree with ColdFusion that what's most important is bringing a good attitude. I'm already on board with that. I'm just a little curious about the little things that I mentioned.

I'll find out more Friday when I see my therapist. Dee, thanks for the encouraging words. I always like your replies....
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

My experience was in a men-only 13 month long rehab so it might not be anything like yours.

They did not let me bring in hardly any personal stuff for fear I would smuggle in contrabands.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

depends really.

for reading material, if it wasn't recovery based it was not allowed. some don't even allow pens, no money - you don't need it really until you want to buy something at the bookstore, a yoga mat or the t-shirt. And sundries.

make sure you have comfortable shoes/slippers etc. after a week you won't be too focused on how you look - especially when you see everyone else -

The best thing to take is a good attitude and comfortable clothes. They will tell you what to bring. You won't need much.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

Ha ha, LBrain: "after a week you won't be too focused on how you look - especially when you see everyone else - " I know what you mean. I've been hospitalized for Major Depression 4 times and this here is a true story you're telling !!! Thanks for the smile!!! Robin
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Robin, I'm so happy for you. Stay open to suggestions, be honest with yourself and promise to stay do the length of time recommended. Be sure to have a continuing care plan when you leave. Try to get find meetings to attend once you do get home. Just having a support group is very helpful. And remember SR is always here for you.

love from Lenina
Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is my experience:

No shoe laces
no strings on any clothing
no products that contain ANY alcohol
no mirrors or glass for your make up
bring comfy clothes
no hard cover books

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

bring minimal make-up. now is the time to "get real" and be you.