Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm just a chatty Cathy tonight!...opinions on OTC meds

Notices

Old 07-10-2004, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I'm in the midst of a horrible cold and ear infection. I stopped drinking in the middle of this, four days ago. But anyway, I'm taking some OTC's to help me breathe and and all, and I've also got some codeine from the doctor to help my coughing. I'm just worried that taking these meds means that I haven't REALLY given up anything yet? I don't feel any sort of high from them, just some relief from my cold. But is it wrong to take them now? I'm following the recommended dosages, btw.....not like getting off or anything from them (unless NOT having clogged lungs and sharp pains in my ears is getting off).
Old 07-11-2004, 12:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You asked for opinions. Here's mine. If I take something for the right reasons (i.e., not to get high), and take it for its prescribed purpose in the manner in which it was prescribed, then I'm still "clean/sober." The only thing "wrong" is that some meds, OTC as well as prescription, are mood/mind-altering and could be triggers. They could tempt me to abuse them or other substances. Make sense?
Love, Eddie
Old 07-11-2004, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Ok...yeah, that makes sense. I think what I'm doing is OK, then, cuz I've been real careful to only take something when I absolutely need it (like, before, I think I more or less abused Nyquil as if it was a recreational drug that I got to take when I was sick, lol). But anyway, I was worried about the codeine because I've never had it before and I thought it might get me "high", but fortunately, I feel absolutely nothing from it (except it helps my coughing). It doesn't even make me drowsy like the doctor said it would.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Just be careful! Love the Garfield. AA has a great pamphlet called "The AA Member—Medications and Other Drugs" that you might want to read regarding the use of meds in recovery. Take care!
Love, Eddie