Notices

Started getting sick...much more often

Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started getting sick...much more often

Hello everyone. I'm still here, though not as active as I once was, but still sober (482 days and counting ), and I've noticed I'm getting sick much more frequently.

Pretty much anytime someone I work with gets sick, I'll more than likely catch whatever they have within a couple of days. So far this year I've had bronchitis twice and pneumonia once. I take a multivitamin each day and an OTC allergy pill when needed, but that's it.

Anyone else have similar results? Tips?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your almost 500 days sober, that a heck of an achievement. I've had the opposite, I've been much healthier and sick far less frequently since quitting. Have you had a checkup since you quit?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I have had a few issues come up since getting sober but I took care of them rather than getting scared and not seeing a doctor. It is a lot raise to heal when sober though!
Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. I've been to see a doctor each time, and had my bloodwork done for my insurance. Nothing has turned up except for the bronchitis and pneumonia.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I appear to get more sick as well. I have something wrong but they can't get a diagnostic.
I think it's gout, they think it might rheumatism. Every freaking time I get sober the pain pops somewhere. I usually find an excuse to drink over it. But not this time ;-)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It might be giving up the cigarettes. It's common to have chest complaints when
Stopping smoking. I actually had a worse time in May ways when I stopped smiling than when is stopped drinking.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I've noticed that if I'm fighting off one thing I'm much more likely to come down with another, so it could be a string of bugs hitting you. You don't mention if you smoke.

482 days sober is awesome BTW.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think this is another of those, "we are all different" things. I caught every cold, stomach bug, flu... that came down the pike, the first nine months after I stopped drinking. It had been almost four years before I stopped drinking since I had been sick, from anything not hangover/withdrawal related. But, since my last "illness" I haven't so much as had the sniffles (other than allergy related) for over two years.

But again, for the first nine months, as a non-drinker, it seemed I was sick more than I was healthy, so you're not alone.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got sick in the last couple weeks and it was the first virus I've had in many years.

I decided it was because I actually am getting out and meeting people and sharing handshakes and hugs.

That didn't happen too much when I was drinking.