Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

because it gets overwhelming to try and be productive
i can relate!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
I don't think I can do this because I dont feel good at all..
Yes you can. I thought I couldn't get through it either but I did and so will you if you want it.

It will get better. Really and you want to be here in 2 years time explaining that to somebody else.

Chin up, put the kettle on.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
Yes you can. I thought I couldn't get through it either but I did and so will you if you want it.

It will get better. Really and you want to be here in 2 years time explaining that to somebody else.

Chin up, put the kettle on.
Thanks degadar, definitely want to get to the other side!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The other thing I really had to eventually force myself to do was exercise. Vigorous cardio. It really helped my mind anxiety and energy level.

After a while I get stir crazy if I don't do it.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

AS1
seems like a common complaint in the first year.
your brain needs to re-build, really.
if it doesn't get better much, here's an interesting book i just finished a couple of days ago:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...69411363,d.cGU
it's a great overview of the multitude of things that can make a brain be foggy and miss connections,. it's more easily readable than i thought.

if you want to check out some amazing stuff about how brains can change, there's

the book is better than the video.
well, probably more than you ever wanted...but will keep you busy if you get antsy
Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks stoogy, my honest opinion me going with the PAWS thing is the only thing keeping me sober, if PAWS isn't the case then honestly I feel worse than my drinking/hungover days (even though I never got hangovers because I drank water after alcohol) and I don't think I can do this because I dont feel good at all..
Hi stoogy, I'm not too bad thanks for asking, just wish I had a clear head! Lol, I feel like I was mentally sharper when drinking, now I have a lot of memory problems, problems with clarity of thought, if someone asks me a question it takes me twice as long to answer, typing this message has taken me a good 5 minutes! Lol, overall very foggyheaded, feel mentally sluggish, spaced out a lot of the time.
Hi AlwaySober...I've bolded above what you said above that I COMPLETELY relate to.

Take heart it does get better...but agree, when you are in the midst of it, it can feel overwhelming and I too felt like it was almost gonna drive me to drink again. It affected my confidence and self esteem at work....I'd feel frustrated with myself also. And sometimes, just days where I couldn't connect one thought to the next one. A few out of body kind of experiences too....like, how do I do my job again, etc.

I think the AV also takes advantage of our feeling low about that and tries to feed us that it would be better to drink. Remember too, drinking changes our brain, so we feel euphoric and over confident, and always right......it can be shattering to come down to earth and be highly aware of just how vague we can be because of how we've damaged our brain.

I'm back to enjoying reading, also, which was really depressing me when I was struggling with it. It's almost like I've discovered a new hobby, it's that good!

Give it time, but yep, it is the pits when you are going through it.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
The other thing I really had to eventually force myself to do was exercise. Vigorous cardio. It really helped my mind anxiety and energy level.

After a while I get stir crazy if I don't do it.
I agree DB, its a good idea to have an outlet for your frustrations, anxiety, forces the body to work at its best, I do walk a lot but might start doing something more intense such as cardio/weights etc.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
AS1
seems like a common complaint in the first year.
your brain needs to re-build, really.
if it doesn't get better much, here's an interesting book i just finished a couple of days ago:
it's a great overview of the multitude of things that can make a brain be foggy and miss connections,. it's more easily readable than i thought.

if you want to check out some amazing stuff about how brains can change, there's

the book is better than the video.
well, probably more than you ever wanted...but will keep you busy if you get antsy
Thanks fini, that's really interesting! Loads of information on the brain, good stuff.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It was times like this i’d go back and read my diary.

Seeing that things were happening - the scary drunk dreams had virtually stopped. I’d stopped waking up with a virtual hangover, I’d got a long list of cases where I’d stayed calm where I would otherwise have blown up ... and it reminded me that changes were happening.

The benefits creep up slowly over a matter of years, not days weeks or months.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Hi AlwaySober...I've bolded above what you said above that I COMPLETELY relate to.

Take heart it does get better...but agree, when you are in the midst of it, it can feel overwhelming and I too felt like it was almost gonna drive me to drink again. It affected my confidence and self esteem at work....I'd feel frustrated with myself also. And sometimes, just days where I couldn't connect one thought to the next one. A few out of body kind of experiences too....like, how do I do my job again, etc.

I think the AV also takes advantage of our feeling low about that and tries to feed us that it would be better to drink. Remember too, drinking changes our brain, so we feel euphoric and over confident, and always right......it can be shattering to come down to earth and be highly aware of just how vague we can be because of how we've damaged our brain.

I'm back to enjoying reading, also, which was really depressing me when I was struggling with it. It's almost like I've discovered a new hobby, it's that good!

Give it time, but yep, it is the pits when you are going through it.
Thanks croissant, yeah your spot on with not being able to function properly, its very frustrating when you struggle to concentrate, think, plan tasks, low stress tolerance, I'm fortunate I don't have a job at the moment because I would be useless! Lol.

I look forward to the day I feel more resilient, quicker on the mark with some clarity back, I'm going to give it another 6 months before I really get concerned, hopefully everything will return to normal.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
It was times like this i’d go back and read my diary.

Seeing that things were happening - the scary drunk dreams had virtually stopped. I’d stopped waking up with a virtual hangover, I’d got a long list of cases where I’d stayed calm where I would otherwise have blown up ... and it reminded me that changes were happening.

The benefits creep up slowly over a matter of years, not days weeks or months.
Good point, I do notice changes since I quit, I'm a lot calmer now, when i was drinking I was so irritable, snappy, moody etc, believe it or not I'm a lot less pessimistic now than during my drinking days (apart from the negative posts lol).
Old 11-11-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey AlwaysSober1, did your concentration/memory/brain fog get any better? Looks like it's been a year+ since your last post.

I know I have the same problem here right about at 4 months sober, and it's my first recovery after only drinking for like 15 months or so.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi All, I've been away for a while as some of my closer friends would have noticed as I've been back to my worst in a little while, plans are in place and i am going for a life sober and happy, I've done it in the past so i realise it aint easy but i can like anyone can.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR CometJo
Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi CometJo and welcome!

I feel like I've been kind of the poster boy for all manner of PAWS-type symptoms, including fairly severe memory and cognition issues, since I sobered up for good around 2 years, 8 months ago.

I've had my ups and downs, but the bottom line is that IT DOES GET BETTER with time -- as long as you don't drink at all

If you drank to excess for only 15 months or so, I'd hazard a guess that the chances are probably good that you'll make a full recovery. Be patient!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Hi CometJo and welcome!

I feel like I've been kind of the poster boy for all manner of PAWS-type symptoms, including fairly severe memory and cognition issues, since I sobered up for good around 2 years, 8 months ago.

I've had my ups and downs, but the bottom line is that IT DOES GET BETTER with time -- as long as you don't drink at all

If you drank to excess for only 15 months or so, I'd hazard a guess that the chances are probably good that you'll make a full recovery. Be patient!
Thanks, Andante, for the hope. I have noticed a bit of improvement since I stopped drinking, but I think that's just made me somewhat impatient for the rest of the healing to occur. It's like the closer you get to your destination on a trip, the more in a hurry you are to get there, you know? But yeah, I think I'm going to be another poster-boy for PAWS as I still seem to have just about every single one of the symptoms, including headaches which I don't think are on any PAWS list. Trying to keep busy, go to AA and SmartRecovery meetings, doing the AA steps, service, etc. which is helping I think, but from what I gather, just plain old time being sober is a huge part of the healing. It's just that months feel like years now!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome CometJo and welcome back Stoogy

We drank for years - it takes a little time for our mind and bodies to heal - but they will

D
Old 01-20-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yep you guys are right. It's been six months since I quit drinking, and things are starting to improve a lot. My ability to concentrate and read and such has dramatically improved, along with a whole host of other PAWS symptoms.

Thanks for all your input and support and to anyone else who recently quit -- stick with it, it DOES get better!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

We're all familiar with the odd phenomenon of "denial" in alcoholism, in which you're utterly convinced, despite all evidence and assurance from others to the contrary, that you don't have a drinking problem, and even if you did, you can manage it just fine. I've thought for a while now that denial was an actual part of alcohol's mechanism on the brain rather than a purely psychological effect.

Now I'm thinking that an integral part of PAWS may be a kind of "anti-denial" in which you're utterly convinced, despite all evidence and assurance from others to the contrary, that the physical symptoms and the mental issues such as memory and concentration lapses are going to be permanent and that you'll NEVER feel better. This is certainly how I experienced it.

Perhaps they're just two sides to the same coin biochemically -- the irrational confidence of denial and the irrational defeatism of PAWS.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but the idea occurred to me in a rare moment of relative mental clarity so I thought I'd share it

CometJo, glad you're doing better.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It sounds like PAWS generally, but if you're getting headaches as well it might well be worth a trip to the Doctor to get checked out. Just in case it is completely unrelated.