Notices

Body giving in...Time to stop

Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Recover, most places have an alcohol culture. You should try living in Australia! The thing is, you've got to be so committed that whatever the culture you will never deviate. Believe your doctors.
Many of us avoided social events for a while, so as not to be tempted. You had 30 days in January, was that just an alcohol free month, or did you cave? If you challenged yourself for the month and stuck to it, why not give yourself another challenge, say for a year? Once the year is up I hope you'll be so happy sober you won't want to return to your old sick life. It worked for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

To me NA beer is like teasing a pit bull. No problem until the dog gets out
Old 06-05-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Excessive drinking will be a lot harder as you get older .

I never had any health issues from drinking , But the hangovers were a lot worse .
Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I don't want to keep getting off topic, but I must ask
with all due respect MM
True not recommend in the AA Program
Many have relapsed behind them
I have no trouble with them
But
Probably not best for everyone
MM
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

in first few weeks i came to this list for myself (following research).

attend rehab/meeting at the frequency i committed to.

eat 3 meals at least, daily. if a meal is only a few bites, so be it. snack whenever i damn well felt like it.

have a drink nearby at all times. water never hurt anyone. coffee is appealing to many alcoholics. try to take it easy, as this can increase anxiety, agitation, and sleep problems. herbal tea, juice, whatever...

keep busy when you can. you dont really have to accomplish anything, cause not useing is your achievement. i read. i watch tv. cleaning around the house with the music player will kill some time. visit this site. there is a gaming section here!

if not able to motivate, but feeling the itch. lie on your back. start counting in your head. dont get up until urge passes (it will!). whats the worst that can happen? you fall asleep?

i tried to have same bedtime every night and used melatonin (with physician approval). the bedtime thing has always been difficult for me.

a huge strategy for me has been to pay attention to every positive result of putting the bottle down. some people write these down. list them as you experience them. i actually like getting up and hearing the birds now. WHO KNEW!!? ha!

good luck. welcome! this site rocks (even when we're arguing theory)!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome!! Posting is hard, but you did it and now a wealth of helpful people are here for you.

I lived on this site when I first quit drinking. It really really helped me. I didn't go to AA, but more so used AVRT. I've been sober two years yesterday. Stick around!!