Notices

Sweating easily - how long will it last?

Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweating easily - how long will it last?

I've found that when I'm in a habit of ~50 units a week, spaced out somewhat evenly, that it's very easy for me to break into a sweat while sober (i.e. between binges). This is due to either exertion or ambient temperature.

For example, before I knew how bad I was, I volunteered on a trip to Costa Rica a few months ago, and when the plane landed at midnight, it was about 32 degrees out (90 for my American friends), and while I was introducing myself, wearing the aqua-blue t-shirt I was required to wear during the week (I only had 3), I was sweating profusely, with drops of sweat continually dripping down my back, into my shorts, and running down my leg to my shoes. I was visibly soaked. To make a long story short, this sweating situation + no availability of clothesdryers, combined with what turned out to be pretty crappy working conditions led me to bail out and fly home about 10 hours after landing. Luckily, most people unschooled with alcohol abuse don't know this is a symptom.

My work still leads me to work in hot places occasionally (machine rooms, I'm an electrician), making planning alternating between hot/cold places necessary to keep myself from getting to sweaty.

So here's my question - has this happened to anyone else, and how long after stopping drinking did it take for you to be able to sweat like a normal person instead of a fire hydrant again? I'm 25, and apart from the drinking and whatever effects it has had over the last 2 years, I'm healthy.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jsprplc

It usually took me about a week or so....maybe 10 days - I live in the tropics

I will tell you one thing...if you stop drinking, it never happens again

D
Old 05-23-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about the sweating but when I drank I was always warm. I loved the AC. I felt like I never had enough cool air.

Now I love the warmth. The sun feels good and the heat does not really bother me like it used to. No more night sweats.

I noticed a change about the three month mark. It was late June into early July and I was comfortable for the first time in many years.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Common problem ,goes away soon .

Drinking where I live ,you will be sweating a lot .

Drink planty of water .
Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This was a major problem with me when I was drinking. Middle of winter I'd be sweating profusely in the subway on the way to work, dripping, embarrassed, my hair a mess, miserable. I attributed it to everything else but my drinking. Once I quit, it went away pretty quickly like Dee said. And I find I can tolerate the heat much better overall.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I had my detox, I also experienced this symptom. It was worst at night, where I would wake up drenched in sweat (bear in mind, this was January in the UK!). It seemed to peak about 3 or 4 days in, but got better very quickly.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol has a direct effect on the body's temp. regulation .

I can drink as few as 4 regular beers ,and wake up hot ,and have poor sleep .