Notices

Replace alcohol with something else?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replace alcohol with something else?

I feel like I should replace alcohol with another beverage or perhaps something else. Usually I take a once a week sober day and end up drinking a lot of water. At this point in my life though, I am trying to see how long I can cope without alcohol. I can already think of a few things to replace it with myself, I'm just curious what some of YOU have replaced your alcohol addiction with?
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Gamerdude View Post
I feel like I should replace alcohol with another beverage or perhaps something else. Usually I take a once a week sober day and end up drinking a lot of water. At this point in my life though, I am trying to see how long I can cope without alcohol. I can already think of a few things to replace it with myself, I'm just curious what some of YOU have replaced your alcohol addiction with?

Coffee, strawberry milk shakes and more coffee☕️☕️👍
Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Green and White Teas!! . . . I've started to try many different varieties, something I do in the evenings by the pot load!!

If I'm out somewhere, I've discovered cranberry/soda/lime!! . . . it's amazing!!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anything sparkling satisfies me...also love purpleknight's suggestion, soda, cranberry and a lime!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nmd

diet ginger ale does it for me. I get enough caffeine from coffee and calories from eating. :-)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Caffeine free diet coke and a hell of a lot of herbal/fruit tea.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Gamerdude View Post
I'm just curious what some of YOU have replaced your alcohol addiction with?
Sobriety. And loving it!
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Herbal tea and icecream. Oh, and lots of coffee. I love your answer, doggonecar. I love being sober.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

guilt free bubbles

ever tried LaCroix canned sparkling water? it comes in multiple NATURAL fruit flavors. check your local supermarket. it has no sweetener, artificial or otherwise. that throws some folks off. i love it. it really comes in handy when im mowing and such. great replacement for beer.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My ,main replacement is Gatorade and pineapple Fanta .
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Regular black coffee that is fresh seems to satisfy my brain, although no where near as much as alcohol used to.

Coffee also helps you go to the bathroom, an un-expected side benefit

I don't think there really is a "replacement" for alcohol sans other drugs, whether we're talking carbonated water, tea, soda, or juice if you were drinking for a while your brain will be wise to it.................
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tea! It seems to have a very calming effect on me
Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
Regular black coffee that is fresh seems to satisfy my brain, although no where near as much as alcohol used to.

Coffee also helps you go to the bathroom, an un-expected side benefit

I don't think there really is a "replacement" for alcohol sans other drugs, whether we're talking carbonated water, tea, soda, or juice if you were drinking for a while your brain will be wise to it.................

In cooler weather ,I find decaff coffee is great to satisify me in the evenings .

I think when you first stop ,replacement of all the fluid and sugar is important .

Don't know if you heard of HALT ?

Hungry

Angry

Lonely

Tired

MAJOR DRINKING TRIGGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

B E W A R E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COMMIT THESE TO MEMORY ,BURN THEM INTO YOUR BRAIN !!!!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Replace with
walking, talking, reading, writing, yelling, screaming, jumping, jogging, praying, laughing, smiling, clapping, drawing, singing, typing, thinking, .........plenty or water and rest!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drink a tazo calm tea every night before bed. In my first days of sobriety I was worried a lot about being able to fall asleep and this seemed to help. It has become a comforting ritual.

During the day--my new "treat" drink is a Shirley temple made with sprite zero and pomegranate juice, with a maraschino cherry in it. It's yummy and the best part is I can stop at just one. . Plus my kids can indulge with me and they love it, too.

I heard a podcast with a woman called "sober Julie" who has published a book of mocktails and also gives recipes on her blog. Haven't tried any yet, tho.

Best wishes in your sobriety.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Replacing the Sugar and fluid is VERY IMPORANT -imo

Water is the fluid i consume he most of , but if a craving his i head straight for grape powerade ,if i can get it .

I found ,with my low blood sugar ,i need to minimize caffine when a craving hits .

Sugar and caffine ,leave me worse off .

I will however drinking ANYHING i can get my hands on that has sugar ,I have low blood sugar to a level ,the shakes can happen .
Not often , but itt does occur .
Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zjw

herbal tea like tons of it lol but I dont drink much of it anymore but in those early days it was a godsend.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drink some ginger ale the other day ,its odd but really pretty good I guess .

I drank a quart of it on a 30 minute drive .
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I tried to replace alcohol with some other single activity to directly substitute. It hasn't worked. Instead, I'm letting myself indulge in multiple interests. Drinking was the only thing at which I have ever cared to become proficient. Realizing my own personality limitations have led to more peace about what I choose to do instead of drink. I didn't want to have a bunch of interests all at once, but I found it the best framework for keeping myself busy and interested in healthy designs.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I missed what the OP was asking about. I've replaced alcohol with coffee, tea, water, soda, all kinds of stuff. If I'm out with friends, I usually stick to soda or club soda. Club soda is nice in that it mimics a regular drink as you drink it due to the carbonation.
More fulfilling to me than just drinking water and you avoid the sweetness of soda.