Notices

Stupid drinking dream!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid drinking dream!

I've been sober for about 2.5 years, and the past few weeks I've been having a recurring drinking dream.

In the dream I know I'm relapsing, but choose to get some vodka in a liquor store and drink it anyway, and then I pretend in the dream that it didn't really count as a relapse and I'm fine to drink now.

I wake up so disturbed, thinking I actually did it.

I can't quite figure out why this popped up all of a sudden. I did miss my meeting last week because I was out of town, and didn't make it up. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I just had to vent. Maybe talking about it will help, it usually does!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dot

I hope talking about it helped

I never put too much store in my drinking dreams - I figured as long as I stayed sober when I was awake I was doing ok.

Of course...if you think it means something...then maybe it is time to boost your recovery again?

D
Old 04-25-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never had a drinking dream, but I have had fighting dreams and woke up mad. Dreams can be very disturbing. I hope yours goes away and leaves you alone now.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IT's just your brain discharging some of the garbage of your past. just try to improve you sleep hygiene - no tv, dark cool room, schedule, maybe some melatonin at the same time of the evening.... those of are ones that work for me. Just think of it as an "interesting" night movie. LOL
Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams used to bother me, but not so much anymore.

I had a dream the other night that I was sneaking alcohol and it was a little distressing.

Mind you, I had another dream recently and Ricky Schroeder was in it, circa 1978 The Champ. Equally random - and distressing! Ha!

My point is...try not to let it scare you. If it's playing on your mind it may be a problem...then you may keep dreaming about your fear. To Dee's point - unless you think there's some threat in real life....relax, and take it for the crazy randomness that dreams usually are.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I had one the night before... the whole time, I was drinking and debating whether or not I would tell my sponsor (true alcoholic, right?!). Talking about it does help.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've had drunk dreams, although not for a while. The first couple bothered me but then at some point I came to value them as a God Reminder. God allows me to be reminded of just how bad my drinking was, and can be again if I choose to pick up that next drink, but He gives me this gift in the safety of my own bed. I don't know that it's some kind of indication of things to come, but I do believe those dreams will come true if I drink again. I agree, they are horrible and tend to scare the bejesus out of me but the feeling of gratitude I have when I realize it was just a dream is a true gift in itself. The only gift greater than the gift of sobriety to me is the gift of faith that God can and will help me to stay sober, but I have to do my part.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had another dream last night. I was at my parents house, but it wasn't the house they are in now, the house I grew up in. I kept getting mad because my mother would keep barging in the room as I was trying to snort some crystal meth. I got mad at my mother so I started punching her.

It was disturbing:

1. My mother and father are sweethearts and great parents, I'd never harm a hair on their head.
2. I never did crystal meth.

Alcohol was somehow involved in the dream as well.

I think I just need to step up my meetings and clear my head. Bizarre!

I will NOT drink today.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had a few drinking dreams since I quit a couple of years ago but since I quit smoking pot a couple of weeks ago I started having these crazy lucid dreams and remembering them. I found this website:

Dream Moods A-Z Dream Dictionary

It's a fun way to deconstruct and analyze my dreams without driving friends and family crazy.