Notices

relapse

Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relapse

So after 2 months of being proud and sober I relapsed, and have been doing so for the last month. I feel horrible, and just want to stay sober. This time is the first time I have ever had the shakes (not bad), so that scares me. I cant go to my spouse because they have been doing so well I am scared it will be a reason for them to relapse. Just needing to vent
Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, sorry things aren't good for you at the moment. I relapsed after six days, so I can't really offer concrete advice but I just wanted you to know people are around. xx
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, outcast. You will find support and encouragement here.

Today is a new day so hop back on the wagon.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I will Leigh, I have actually been on SR for a while, just had to reset my name and profile. SR has been a lot of help, but when I stayed away for a while, I fell.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outcast View Post
I will Leigh, I have actually been on SR for a while, just had to reset my name and profile. SR has been a lot of help, but when I stayed away for a while, I fell.

Glad you are back, outcast.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outcast View Post
I know I could not make it without SR. I am glad you posted. I go to the 24 hour pledge every morning, meetings here on Tuesday and Friday evenings and I try to read and answer posts every day. It sure helps me. I hope to get to know you better. You can do this. One day at a time. You are in my prayers.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you Huntington, I have gone to the Tues and Fri meetings and love them, I have listened but never shared, when I had my other profile people I knew and drank with in the past knew my old profile, so I started over so I can be more open my wife read my posts and was not trying to pry (she was trying to help) but I need to be able to get advice from those who don't personally know me. And you have given me great advice in the past, I am ready to start over and tell my self "I will NEVER relapse again" and I think I should start going to AA meetings, unfortunately the closest one is about 15 miles from me, but I need it.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Outcast, we all have reasons to quit drinking, it makes us depressed and anxious and angry, it messes up the memory and judgement, makes us guilty and ashamed and all that stuff. These are the negative aspects of drinking, but they aren't really enough to make a lot of people quit.

Instead, what about the reasons to be sober? Sobriety gives us freedom, and motivation, and self respect and the respect of others again, more cash in your pocket and what that can give you, and joy and even a little happiness. You can drink, or you can have a good life, but you cannot do both. Make your own list of reasons why you need to be sober. It will help you look at things positively.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Outcast, I'm only a few months sober this time around but what has been helping me this time is reminding myself multiple times a day of big life decisions that I don't have to beat myself up over or second guess because I was sober when I made those decisions. To me, even knowing what to say to a friend or when to keep my mouth shut can be a big decision. Reminding myself of the crushing guilt to follow stops me every time. I don't know if that helps you at all but I thought I'd throw that out there. And good job having a spouse where you two seem to be supportive of helping each other stay dry.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi outcast. It happened to me a couple times too. Each time I learned something and it helped strengthen my determination. Sometimes we need further convincing. You know it's not for you anymore - and you're going to do this.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The shakes are a bad deal , been there .

Just get back on the horse .

I started and stopped a bunch of times .