Notices

Checking In

Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking In

I know I've been sort of MIA. Still sober, though.

I guess I just broke up with my boyfriend. Short version from my side is that I can't handle his (self-admitted, even) anger issues anymore. I would call him out on something (let's use finding his match.com profile alive and kicking as an example) and his knee jerk reaction was to try to turn it around on me. And since it was knee jerk it was almost always some past event that didn't make any sense or something along the lines of how he's sure that I do it to (or whatever) but he just never catches me because I'm better at not getting caught. Either way, since his rebuttal is dumb it doesn't hold water and he just gets increasingly angry until he starts calling me names. Hasn't happened since I dried up so I figured the fights were from my drinking. But, it just happened and since I'm sober and as clear-headed as I can tell, it's him. Without getting into every little thing wrong with the relationship or not, I guess I'm just looking for support on that and maybe some high fives that it doesn't make me want to turn to drinking. Made me start getting dressed to hit the mall, though I don't have THAT addiction. I also wanted to check in and let everyone know that I'm still on the wagon.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great to hear your doing well Hearts!!

You gotta look after yourself first, especially in early Sobriety!! so well done on making a big decision and remaining Sober!!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hearts. I'm kinda new here so I didn't miss you at all.
Sounds like you are at least thinking straight. Good for you. Take some time for yourself. Just don't go rushing into another relationship any time too soon. Enjoy being by yourself for a bit and breathe easy.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. No desire for another relationship right now. I wish I did so I could "show him" but that's just self-destructive. I always forgave repeatedly too easily and always wanted to fix guys. I thought I got over that but the alcoholism can really wreck my feelings of self-worth. "Oh, but I'm an alcoholic so I should put up with that sort of treatment."