Notices

Day 11...bump in the road

Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11...bump in the road

Everyone has triggers, but for me, nice weather really does it. Normally I drink alone but I haven't been tempted to do that at all strangely enough.

Today though, a coworker asked me as we were leaving work if I wanted to get a drink...pathetically, I caved. I only had three beers so I didn't completely lose control, but still I an embarrassed and disappointed with myself. Why is this do damn hard?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

Nice weather is also a huge trigger for me. I'm also early in my sobriety, so it's fortunate for me we don't have nice weather here yet. I'm sorry you drank. However you learned how much of a trigger it is for you. Next time you will be ready for the AV. Dust yourself off and hop back on the wagon.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate. This time of year in socal is BBQ season...warm long days. Huge trigger initially then I realized I enjoy them even more when I remember them!

You got this.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My main trigger was consciousness. As long as I wasn't conscious I had no trouble not drinking.

I learned that my reason for drinking was not related to any external circumstance. I learned that through the geographical, getting away from all the people, places and things that made me drink, and still I got drunk. There was no way to arrange my life so I would not have to drink.

It's fair enough to avoid certain triggering situations like bars and parties in early sobriety. You might just avoid a slip and be sober for one more day. But it is not a long term solution, it can never be a permanent way of living. Imagine spending the rest of your life running from triggers?

The problem is internal. Alcoholism. It is not caused by outside events, though it can be aggravated by them. It usually requires a lot of effort to recover.

Just not drinking and trying to avoid triggers doesn't seem to be enough to bring about permanent recovery.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Just thinking about the three beers. The alcoholic mind will be saying I had three and it didn't seem to do any harm. Maybe I can control it afterall. Perhaps next time I'll try four.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry it happened, Carbonite. You had a close call yesterday with a similar situation. What do you think might help you the next time?

It is super hard. But yet we're trying - that must mean we want this badly. We just have to remember how bad we want this when those moments hit. I'm telling myself this constantly.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm at about the same stage as you Carbonite. Oddly, I ONLY drank alone. I refused to drink with other people or in public, as strange as that sounds.

Good luck, keep it clean.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on a trip to Boston this weekend. I plan on staying sober. We told our friends I can't drink due to medication issues, so that should help ease the pressure now that the expectation is set.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry that happened. Nothing left to do but press on.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just get up and move forward .

Good news is no withdrawals with 3 beers .